Why no LPM on ipads

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by crashoverride77, Jul 29, 2015.

1. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

any particular reasons there is no low power mode for iPads? I would like that feature on iPads too, even if it would save less battery than on iPhones.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Because the iPad battery life is to good for low power mode.

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Guessing:
    iPhone is a safety device that allows you to call home (wherever) in the event on an emergency. Having a little more power to cover the ability to call in an emergency can be critical.

iPad is a device similar to iPhone with similar communication but at the end of the day not carried to cover emergencies in the way a phone is.

With that said, no idea why other than to avoid suggesting it needs the feature because battery life is already very good.

4. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I totally agree. However it would still be nice to get an extra 1-2 hour when ur at 10-5%.

5. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hehe. Do iPads actually also get an extra hour of battery life due to iOS 9 improvements, or is that only iPhones too?

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

It's probably because many "switches you didn't even know about" involve cellular connectivity options, GPS, etc.

My iPad mini 2 doesn't get the greatest battery life. Usually about 6-8 hours. That being said, my usage is primarily games and video, though. So that probably makes sense.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also the small amount of energy savings by slowing down services will make a large relative improvement for a small battery but will be more negligible on a large battery.

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yeah, on iPad the screen is the big power draw for most use cases, and low power mode can't do much about that. Whereas on phone, the power draw is more balanced between processing and screen, with less battery to back it, so far more noticeable. essentially, the gains would be so small as to not be worth it.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

On an iPad, wouldn't low power mode just be airplane mode and make the thing useless? I agree with others that LPM on a phone can be crucial if you're away from a charger and need to make it last longer. The watch less so, but maybe you still need the time. I think the fact that the iPad batteries last for a LONG time and don't drain quite as quickly as the smaller devices makes LPM less of a necessity.

10. iterva macrumors regular

I agree, to me it doesn't make any sense to have it on iPads.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

Wouldn't it just be a percentage? So in fact, in raw hours, the same savings on iPad would be more significant.

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Not exactly. Part of power save is to run the processor at a lower clock speed. Radio limits help too but are not all there is to the savings.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

yeah and it also disables background app refresh and mail fetch/push, so there are plenty of other things it can do outside of radio management.

someone above said ipad has a large screen and low power mode can't do much about that. one of low power mode's features is to turn off the screen after just 30 seconds of inactivity (i believe this option is not available otherwise, at least on iphone). so there are things it can do...

14. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

iOS 9 will let you auto lock in 30 seconds now.

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The goal is to increase standby on the iPhone, while on the iPad you'd want to gain more time to use your iPad.