Why no matte display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chad.petree, Jun 14, 2016.

1. chad.petree macrumors 6502

I've been wondering why does Apple not offer a matte display option? Whenever I have to work at home , now specially on summer, I have to close my shades , otherwise the reflections on the screen are too annoying, I know apple used to offer matte displays, what happened?

2. rapicell macrumors regular

What happened is the retina display has a special coating that's supposed to reduce glare. So that's why the matte option has disappeared

3. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

Well in my opinion it doesn't really do a good job at it :(

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s simpler for Apple to produce one standard display for each notebook, reduces cost, increases margin.

Q-6

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

Plus the majority of people prefer the shininess of the glass. It looks pretty.

6. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

+1 on this. I actually prefer a matte screen over a gloss one, even the Retina, but I understand possible reasons for opting for one type of display

7. the-bigwig macrumors newbie

I absolutely hate matte display tbh and I found Air display so unflattering. I don't know, but it looks washed and unpleasant to my eye.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

That`s solely due to the Air`s display panel being a cheap TN panel, and Apple wanting to boost it`s margins. The Air should had received a decent quality IPS display panel years ago. Want an example of matte done properly check out a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, as ever Apple`s focus is Apple not the user.

Q-6

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- As well, of course, due to it not being Retina.

10. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

The Air had a much inferior quality display even before Apple went Retina.

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If Apple wanted a matte Retina option, it can be easily produced, equally additional complexity adds cost, and highly likely Apple`s target audience is good with the current glossy display. Personally I am ok with the rMB & rMBP display option, equally for business system I would tend to defer to matte as lighting conditions are harder to control in my role.

Reality is Apple is a small audience for 16:10 display panels, add in a true matte display panel, magnitudes less, this I think we can agree on. No right or wrong, more personal preference. Those seeking a matte display need to look to an external solution or the likes of Lenovo`s ThinkPad line...

Q-6

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I'm actually not familiar with that. In what way?

- I'll just add a little something: The Air doesn't have a matte display.

13. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

The Air always used a lower quality panel that was washed out, had poor color gamut and had worse viewing angles than the screens of the "classic" Macbook Pro.

14. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple does not care about their laptops anymore , pretty much every midtier laptop now a day has a 1080p display , the retina MacBook pro hasn't been really updated in 4 years , even the almighty iPhone 6 still has a 720p display in 2016... and please don't tell me that you cannot tell the difference because at least I can !