Why no Matte Screen for new Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by christophermdia, Oct 21, 2010.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

If this thing is for lugging around and being outside, at the coffee shop, etc etc...then why wouldn't Apple have considered a Matte at least as an option....I upgraded from a 13" to 15" MBP recently and got the Matte screen and the difference is amazing....

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Maybe because Apple doesn't like matte screens.

In my experience, glossy screens are actually better outdoors anyway. You can look past reflections or shift the screen easily enough but there's not a lot you can do about the washed out effect due to a matte screen's diffusing nature.

My first gen MacBook compared to my last gen iBook sold that on me years ago. The glossy MacBook was useable outdoors. The iBook was not.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The marketing department probably found that consumers were attracted to the glossy displays more, however inaccurate they may be.

4. bouncer1 macrumors 6502

If there was a matte option I would go for one for sure. But I 've got so dissilusioned with the glassy options apple has opted for across product lines that even a glossy with no glass on top seems like an oasis compared to what is currently available. I hate the glass on anything apple, I dislike it on the iphone, I find it a bit more annoying on an ipad, I despise it on a macbook and I absolutely freaking hate it on an imac. I am a happy camper with glass as you can see. :D

Having said that it also depends on how good the screen really is, I will have to see it in person. For example the gen 1 mba had a gorgeous screen, only marginally glossy compared to other glossy screens from pc manufacturers, just enough to make the letters and colours clearer and not have that much reflection. Gen 2, or 1.B was worse, more glossy. So I 'd really like to see how the new screen looks, fingers crossed.

But I am so relieved we didn't get the dreaded glass on the air too, that I 've forgotten about matte.

5. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

AFAIK it's only semi glossy like the MB which I find easily usable even in direct light

6. christophermdia thread starter macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Dont get me wrong, I like the glossy look...even with the matte-book :rolleyes: I just bought, I got the LED screen to go with it, so in the right environment I can still have the glossy look, but while the glossy is not terrible outdoors, Matte to me is so much better....