Why no MMS on 1st GEN IPHONE????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aandf1978, Mar 18, 2009.

1. aandf1978 macrumors member

Hey everyone during the 3.0 preview yesterday I remember Scott said that MMS will not be available on 1st Gen Iphones due to hardware changes??? What exact hardware changes would prevent you from doing MMS on a 3G and not on a 1st GEN?? They both have cameras, they were both able to send SMS, is it just because of the 3G?? If so that is BS!!! It seems to me that is a underlying way for Apple to push the 1st GEN users to ditch their phones and upgrade to the 3G or the new one this summer. All other phones and carriers have been sending/receiving MMS over non 3G networks for years with no issue, so it has to be a subtle way to ditch the dinosaur of the 1st GEN iPhone and upgrade. Not good business Apple, not good.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because

1. MMS is worthless anyway.
    2. They want you to upgrade.

It's INCREDIBLE business. They're the only ones who can get away with it, and they make billions because of it.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

Agreed! It's the same reason iPod Touch users will have to pay for the 3.0 upgrade.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's due to some legal issues with the DMCA.

I say screw the DMCA for everything that it does/doesn't do/does ambiguously, but I'm not in a position to have to follow it for my job, so my vote doesn't quite count.

5. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

yes is the DMCA ALSO BLAME CANADA.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It has nothing to do with the DMCA. It has everything to do with an accounting law (The Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002).

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's what I was looking for, thank you.

I've found that, when all else fails or you can't find the actual law in question, blame it on the DMCA. :D

8. acarney macrumors 6502

It actually might be because of 3G. AT&T already has seen that iPhone users are really heavy when it comes to data, I can only guess what they'll be like being about to send direct to other phones pictures and audio files. In the demo the audio file they sent was almost 300k, maybe there isn't a limit or the limit is a large one like the 10Mb app store one. If so, I can't really picture even 300 or 500k or 1meg going over EDGE very well and maybe ATT is worried the older network won't be able to handle a million new phones all sending half meg pictures and audio around.

It would be interesting to note if iPhone gets the scaled down pictures that are resized for MMS or if when MMSing iPhone to iPhone they're full res pictures or even when other ATT phones MMS to iPhone if they're full res (or at least like 640 or 800px and not the really small scaled ones)

I would love if other phones (even just other ATT phones) could MMS 1.3MP pics to my phone or something, that would really be nice. Maybe that's why it took so long for Apple, maybe there was network changes that needed to be made to allow a higher quality experience with MMS on the iPhone?

9. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Dude. acarney. Seriously?

Are you ignoring the fact that other, cheaper AT&T phones have been able to do this for years? Without a data plan?

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

11. acarney macrumors 6502

I know they can, but I've never had one of these phones, do they scale the audio down to like 70kb or something? I know most the pictures are like 160 x 120 or something, and like 50kb or so, right? What I'm saying is maybe Apple doesn't want the iPhone to fall into that world with the big fancy screen and everything and instead is having the MMS piggy back onto the 3G network and send larger files. Could you picture 300 or 400k off EDGE? That would be rough for just sending a pic or audio note. I figure everyone would rather have the option to still have it and just wait more but maybe Apple figures it would make for a bad user experience on first gens?

12. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Why gen1 wont have MMS, GREED from apple thats why. We all know that mms currently works on gen1, plus it works on free phones from 4yrs ago.

13. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Greed? It's business pure and simple. Apple is in the business of selling items.

14. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

This holds no water. If this is true where is 3G available in all ATT areas? It does not exist? BS. Crap reason. AT&T should not charge 3G rates of customers with no access until the network expands. Someone should class action ATT. F•••••g greed.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

If you were looking at it from the other side of the fence as an Apple executive or shareholder you would say it makes Great business sense as more and more people have to upgrade and buy new phones putting more money in your pocket................On this side of the fence if you're a customer holding onto a first gen iPhone you are outraged because you know this is Bull and a way for Apple to squeeze more money from you, eventually you'll see all your friends sending MMS and raving about it here and you will go out and buy a new iphone........ Apple will then know they can get away with this business practice and make money and they will continue to do it.... its a vicious cycle.

16. aok1975 macrumors 6502

A lot of business is greed. Thats whats killing this country. Multi-billion dollar companies trying to make that extra buck at the expense of consumers.

17. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Well put, and some people on this forum believe their lies about it being a hardware issue.

18. mrowl macrumors regular

19. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

You sound like a character in Atlas Shrugged. The consumer will spend what they view is the best value for their dollar. If apple charged too much, it will impact their sales. Simple economics.

Altruism isn't a corporate trait and that's a fact in capitalism. Get used to it or move to a communist economy.

What's killing this country is the citizens getting arse raped by our own govt to continue their drug habit called spending. The quicker people realize "big business" is a non issue when put next to our govt. the quicker we will have more money in our pockets to spend on the things we want and can afford.

20. aok1975 macrumors 6502

By the time these wall street fat cats are done, this country might be a communist country. Lets get back on topic.

21. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

That doesnt quite make sense (pssst... our govt is giving them the bailout), but ok....

22. bigchief macrumors 6502a

In the near future the iphone 3g will not be able to get all the latest and greatest updates and the same for the new iphone coming out this summer. When it happens there will be people bitching about it just like they are now. Hell, do you expect the hardware to remain the same for ever? Two to three years is a long time in the cell phone business and if your going to keep up with latest and greatest you need to upgrade your phone every couple of years. Yes, apple is in the business of selling phones and making money and there is nothing wrong with that.

23. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Nobody said there is anything wrong with apple making money. There is something wrong in deliberately not allowing mms on the first gen, so as to make people upgrade for mms.

24. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

hey Mr. BIG CHEIF.. do you REALLY think that MMS is the "latest and greatest"

I can understand not giving the 3G speed to the original.. its not possible and THAT is considered latest and greatest. Or the ability to add app accessories..THAT is the latest and greatest. But to not add MSS but allow all of the other things. THAT to me is unacceptable. SERIOUSLY unacceptable.

25. bigchief macrumors 6502a

They said it was a radio issue. I can believe that but if you can't and it is unacceptable to you, sell your iphone and move to another brand.