Why no native Clock app on iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by freelance2, Mar 25, 2011.

1. freelance2 macrumors newbie

freelance2

On a iPod Touch there is a native app called Clock which is great as sleep timer or alarm. This app is not in the iPad. Why? I miss it! Perhaps power management?

I've tried some alternatives, they are all lacking.

2. FlyRobDog macrumors member

what are they lacking? seems to be a ton of alarm /clock apps in the store..

3. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I was also surprised to see some basic apps missing from the iPad like a calculator, stocks, weather and voice memos. You can replace any of them with something in the app store but it's gonna cost a buck each unless you don't mind the ads.

4. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

Maybe Apple realized there are too many DST bugs in their clock app for iOS ;)

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It's about time to get that right, it's hilarious that they can make a whole OS that works really well with low power chips and totally fail at an alarm clock app.
    However, if they make an app they would be backstabbing their developers and I think that someone that works directly on that will do better than apple (Did you see the iHome Sleep app? It's great even if you don't use it with an iHome)

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I find the absence of the Clock native app most annoying.

With my iPod Touch I frequently set little alarms and timers throughout the day. It's sort of possible to do the same thing using the calendar app, but not nearly as quick and easy.

I guess Apple decided they wanted to leave space for 3rd party developers to get creative, but I still think it's something of an oversight on Apple's part.

7. jake4ever macrumors regular

I know, I feel the same.