You can bet you money that the ibooks will not be updated next week.Yvan256 said:They couldn't release new computers this week. The new iPods/pricings were out only last week. They're keeping their frontpage, the news and competitors busy for at least two weeks before introducing something new.
I'd expect iMac and/or iBook updates next week, though.
As soon as iBooks are updated, I'm ordering the 12" (unless the options on the 14" makes it a lot better choice).
I'd like to be able to order a 8" iBook, though...
Id really like to see at least 64 mb of vram in the next update.liketom said:iMac first next week or week after -
iBooks slight update in april maybe with a new iBook + iPod Shuffle package
can see a speed hump for the iBook, 1.33 standard speed 12" + 14" 60gb / 80gb 4200 hdd /32mb Vram/ 256mb ram / superdrive 8x BTO on 14" only
Thats a good speculation. I could definately see it going that way.minimax said:They have just updated the powerbook so to update the ibook so shortly after wouldnt make much sense. That would kill part of the powerbook sales.
My guess would be powermac update somewhere end of march, imac update a month later and the ibook to close the line. After the ibook it would be time for a first upgrade of the mac mini.
I agree. I think Apple is either really having problems with IBM and their chips or trying to stretch it out until WWDC. The WWDC is so far away though... I have 5 grand ready to throw at a PowerMac - I wish they would hurry up.daveL said:The consumer line has nowhere to go until the PM gets at least a speed bump.
It probably all depends the urgency of your current needs. IMHO the WWDC isn't all that far off. At this point it makes a lot of sense to wait for Tiger to purchase a new Mac.aussie_geek said:I agree. I think Apple is either really having problems with IBM and their chips or trying to stretch it out until WWDC. The WWDC is so far away though... I have 5 grand ready to throw at a PowerMac - I wish they would hurry up.
Exactly. The powermac wouldn't look very powerful if the imacs were (at least in terms of processor speed) faster than them.daveL said:The consumer line has nowhere to go until the PM gets at least a speed bump.
An iBook update doesn't need to "keep up" with the new PowerBooks.caveman_uk said:Exactly. The powermac wouldn't look very powerful if the imacs were (at least in terms of processor speed) faster than them.
This is the same reason i don't expect new ibooks for a while. The powerbooks only just got an update which allowed them to pull away from the ibooks.
we seem to be "in the same boat"aussie_geek said:I agree. I think Apple is either really having problems with IBM and their chips or trying to stretch it out until WWDC. The WWDC is so far away though... I have 5 grand ready to throw at a PowerMac - I wish they would hurry up.
Well said bro. I agree. Its been said on this forum before that the best time to buy a computer is when you need it.Etrain said:<Steps onto soap box>
Some of these posts make me laugh. Maybe it is because I am new to the world of Macs, but in PC land if you need a computer you buy it because the update won't be too much better. So say if right now you have the money for a PM or an iMac and need a computer. Right now the iMac is 1.8GHz with the 20" for $1900. Lets pretend they update them in April. So you just bought this model and the new one sports 2.0GHz. Will you really even notice? I doubt it.
Waiting has it's benefits, but also it's downfalls. When I bought my Gateway 3 years ago I was so excited about it. Then the next month they updated the line with a cooler looking tower (silver and black vs. my beige) and some little performance increases. I really kicked myself for not waiting but then I realized that compared to my Win 95 running 200MHz paper weight, it was awesome and either way it was a great computer. Worry about today, not tomorrow because the tech. industry advances to fast that in a year it is already outdated.
That said, I am waiting but that is due to financial reasons. Come May I will be buying a 20" iMac with or without an update because as it is right now is a nice step up from my computer. Either way you will be getting one hell of a nice computer.
Just my $.02
</Steps off soap box>
to be honest, the reason why we wait for updates is because the update cycle is so slow, its a good chance that this powermac update cycle is going to be about a year, meaning waiting means having better video cards, more ram, much faster processors - his isnt the PC world and things happen differently - you say you got a gateway three years ago? well in 5/6/7 years people are still going to be using there powermacs and even iMacs, the main reasons for waiting are, better product and less money for longer usage - make massive senseEtrain said:<Steps onto soap box></Steps off soap box>
well, maybe that answers my question. Just the logicboard? or does the whole plane need to be replaced?The Black Rock said:And besides, you can't change the logicboard on the iMac G5. So you want things as future-proof as you can possibly get.