Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Its time for me to upgrade my macbook pro(2007 model). I really want to get another mac, as they are pretty, sturdy, run windows if needed and have good battery.

problem is theres no bloomin dock!

At work i have a dell latitude that i can carry around, and just sits into a dock to connect to my prehiperhials when im at my desk.

Most folks say its just a few wires, and only takes 30 seconds, but not really. I would have:

3 external disks.
speakers.
ergonomic keyboard(not mac wireless).
ergonomic mouse(not mighty mouse).
usb interfacing guitar pedal.
card reader.
monitor.

Thats a short list and could be longer if i add ipods etc.
My point is, or rather, my qestion is why dont apple do docking stations? they used to do them? Loads of other companies do them.

This is not a flame on apple, so please dont get up in arms on this post. im just wondering what the deal is.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
we've been complaining about this for years. Jobs doesn't want to make it too easy to replace an iMac with a portable MBP that docks in mere seconds. Plus he probably isn't keen to having a giant "expansion" port on the bottom like you see on lenovos and such (which I like).

There is a bustling third party market, but none offer true 1 port expansion. This could change in the future with light peak.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Get an USB hub so you only have one USB cable to plug in.

Most PC laptops have their ports in the back so a dock is easier to build. MBPs have their ports on the side so that might be an issue

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Mechanically/Electrically, how would you dock it? There is no pogo pin connection for a dock and if you use the USB ports you are going to chew them up and wreck either the dock or the port.

After experiencing less than dependable docking and un-docking with Dell and other Windows PC's, i would guess that the issue is quality of user experience thing.

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Mechanically/Electrically, how would you dock it? There is no pogo pin connection for a dick and if you use the USB ports you are going to chew them up and wreck either the dock or the port.

After experiencing less than dependable docking and un-docking with Dell and other Windows PC's, i would guess that the issue is quality of user experience thing.

im not saying make one for the current line of MBP's, but have a dock port underneath ( like dell) or a side dock port( like HP) on the next generation.

regarding the quality issue, i have a latitude with docking station at work and it never gives me any trouble. it works as close to perfect as you could expect actually. if dell can do it im sure apple could do a great job of it.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
im not saying make one for the current line of MBP's, but have a dock port underneath ( like dell) or a side dock port( like HP) on the next generation.

regarding the quality issue, i have a latitude with docking station at work and it never gives me any trouble. it works as close to perfect as you could expect actually. if dell can do it im sure apple could do a great job of it.

Apple won't do it. Its not able cannibalizing iMac or MacPro sales. Its about the ugly dock on the bottom factor. You may be satisfied with this at your work, but it is not a very popular thing. Case in point, the Dell Vostro line laptops that my HR department uses, don't have official docking stations. They are just fine with connecting the USB hub and monitor cable.

user51

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
I've been waiting for the Deskbook Pro to come out, it's made to work with the MBP...

https://zemno.com/home.aspx

features-image-block-2.jpg

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
I remember seeing a Mac Mini dock that someone made. You basically slid you Mac into this device that had plugs in the back perfectly aligned with the ports on the Mac.

I could see this concept working for a notebook as well, you would just have to run it in clamshell mode with an external monitor. I think I might have struck gold here, I could see this very popular in the business world!

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
The Henge docks look nice indeed. However using the existing ports as opposed to a traditional pogo pin docking connector worries me. I wonder what the ports look like after a year of docking and undocking. If the well guides it in perfectly aligned, great - everything is ok.

I may have to buy one and find out.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Most companies that make docks have a high-end business market to worry about, which is the primary consumer of such things.

Apple clearly is catering to the facebook crowd who only needs to connect their iPod to their Mac.

Nope. PCs are annoying slow in connecting to peripherals, thus require the kludge to buy another piece of equipment to connect them.

In case you are way behind the technology, Apple has done it, about 15 years ago. Current Macs do not need a dock, and I move my 17" MBP almost every day.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I use the apple 24" LED display along with my uMBP, when I arrive at work I have to plug in 4 cables to get started, everything is connected to the screen with the help of some hubs. I also use a power brick that I interrupt when I leave my shop. That way all my stuff is powered off with one button.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
From closed / sleep, you can get a Mac without a dock to work faster than a PC with a dock.

henry999

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
Chase R said:
Those Henge Docks are pretty sweet, though!
The BookEndZ docks are very nice, but the full retail price is absolutely ridiculous. Way back when I got one on eBay for my WallStreet and later for my PB G4. You do need to be reasonable when inserting, however, making sure the connectors are lined up. Mrs999 broke the left-side USB connector on the dock (and 'bruised' the port on the G4) by forcing the lever when it wasn't right.

cheers,

Henry

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
just use the 27" Apple Cinema Display. All you got to do is connect the USB, mini-DP, and magsafe and you're all set. I use a similar contraption for my MBP to be in "iMac mode" at my desk. Quite simple too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.