Why no OpenCL Support on New 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Titanium81, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

There has been no support for OpenCL on the last two releases of the 13" MBP. Why is this? Seems like a serious downgrade. This is suppose to be a "PRO" machine.

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

Because there are no Intel CPUs with onboard GPUs that has the OpenCL support.

That's coming with Ivy Bridge chips next year.

3. Titanium81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Any chance the Intel CPUs with onboard GPUs in the 2011 13" MBP's could be supported in the future? or is it built into the chip?

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

OpenCL is both software/hardware based, so if the GPU isn't built to support it, it can't be added later.

The odds of Intel adding OpenCL to IGP HD Graphics 3000 is pretty much slim.

5. wilycoder macrumors 6502

OpenCL is not limited to running on GPUs.

By definition, OpenCL programs (kernels) should be able to run on a CPU. Even without an integrated graphics card in the CPU, OpenCL programs should work. The entire reason CL exists is to enable easy heterogeneous computation (which includes GPUs, CPUs, various DSPs, etc). A GPU is not a requirement for OpenCL support.

This issue you are having is nothing more than Intel not making the OpenCL drivers for your CPU available on your platform. Since we are talking about the Mac, I believe Apple is the responsible party here that should be making the CL driver.

I've been writing CL code on windows, not Mac, so all I can offer is this snippet from Apple's own docs online:

"Mac OS X v10.6 and later ships with a native implementation of the OpenCL 1.0 specification."