Why no Pay As You Go?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harlemink, Jun 10, 2008.

1. harlemink macrumors newbie

What is the point of canning Pay As You Go?

I'm more than prepared to pay for a full non-subsidized 16g iPhone--$499 cause my credit isn't great because I have school loans out the wahzoo.

Apple gets their $499, AT&T gets more money out of me-- what's not to love?

I don't get it at all. :mad:

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Apple is probably trying to hold the price at or below $199 so the phone companies have no choice but to make it a plan only option to make it profitable for them.

3. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

There is a Pay as you Go version available on 02 UK/Ireland :) :p

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

The point is to keep people from getting an iPhone as a "Pay as you Go" service, paying for only one month, then going home and jailbreaking the device for use on another provider's network.

5. harlemink thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anything keeping me from buying it, not activating, getting hit with the AT&T 30 day activation rule charge, and then slipping in my 1g iphone SIM?

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I don't think you can buy it now without activating it in the store.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

a lot of people wouldnt mind paying 499 for paygo...

education loans wont be enough for them to deny you a contract:rolleyes:

8. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

you might want to change the title to 'why is there no pay as you go IN THE US?'

In case you haven't noticed non-US residents use this forum too :p

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

To me it seems that if you're struggling to pay back loans taken out for school, maybe you shouldn't be looking to spend $500 on a phone?

10. carlosluna699 macrumors newbie

pay as you go

i hope that here in mexico, we have pay as you go :rolleyes::(

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It does seem the new agreement calls for them to limit as much as possible any phones leaking off the AT&T network. I suspect AT&T was admant on this, the second time around.

So they have no interest in selling a phone to anyone who does not extend a contract with it.

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Wait, there's no Pay-As-You-Go?

I'd think it'd be better on the 3G iPhone, since you wouldn't get the subsidized price, and you have to activate it in store anyway.

The old iPhone didn't have it unless you went to the store to activate it.

13. harlemink thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a matter of struggling. It's a matter of one undergrad degree and two masters degrees. Paying them back is not an issue, I'm good with that, it's the ratio of debt to income that usually gets me on credit checks.

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

If you've been paying bills on time for over a year, you should be able to pass the credit check on a phone contract.

15. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure this is the only way out of keeping the 2 year contract plan
    but for most people, this process would be a pain in the ass.
    and No.. nothing should stop you from doing this unless AT&T charges you something or doesn't give you back your activation fee etc.

Another way to avoid signing a contract is to use my SS#: Here... you can have it.
    999-etc.-etc

=)
    I'd love to see the look on the salesman's face if someone were to give up that all 9's Social. buhahaha

16. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

None of that is possible, you have to sign up and activate the phone while you are in the store. The only way to do it would be to sign a full two year contract, then break it, paying the full early termination fee.

18. johnsy macrumors 6502

A whole industry should change. There is no real competition in USA! Did you noticed? There are incompatible phones, then service area is more or less limited and all companies charge the same for monthly plans. So here you go, it just keeps going up and up. So what that phone is $199? But in a year you will have to shell out +720! Things change abroad too- companies merge and competitions becomes limited...

19. johnsy macrumors 6502

I think the reason is that they don't want to see how much you spend. With prepaid minutes you will control more how much you spend. Other reason is that iPhone is premium phone, so what going to happen if you will sell it as cheap pay as you go deal (who cares that "cheap" will cost you $400).

20. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Ouch... you're right

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

22. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

The 3G iPhone requires in-store activation...but...

There's nothing keeping you from buying it, activating a plan, using it for 30 days, then cancelling it, paying the termination fee.

But don't forget you get flagged in the system as having broken a contract.

And is it really worth the $175 to use on a different carrier? It takes $175 to break another carrier's contract anyway.

23. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

$75 per month plus tax vs. $35 per month can make it worth it for a lot of people