Why no Photos for PC?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cameronjpu, Jun 7, 2018.

1. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Can someone explain this to me? Getting pictures from an iPhone to a Windows PC is pure misery for the average consumer, while getting them onto a Mac is a breeze with iCloud Photo Library. By far most iPhone users use PCs (worldwide computer marketshare numbers demand this) and we all know Apple cares a ton about those extra iCloud storage fees. Would it take so much work to get a quick and dirty clone of Photos working? Can't you imagine with that many 10's of thousands of employees they already have such a thing in the lab? Why can't we have it?

I help normal consumers daily to deal with this problem. They are miserable. Importing pictures into a PC means treating the phone like a camera, and using the Windows camera import, or Picasa (deserted 5 years ago) or something else someone cobbles together. Syncing the library (instead of import) is a non-starter. Not possible. The handling of icloud photo sharing is rudimentary.

Cmon Apple! I sent Tim Cook an email about this annually. Pathetic!

2. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

Maybe complain to Microsoft... perhaps they need to include a better photo management tool in Windows.

Why would apple want to make the PC (i.e., their direct competitor) experience better, when the whole point of buying apple products is to get you into the ecosystem and buy companion products?

I get it, it sucks as a Windows user, but many things suck as a windows user.... (i used windows/linux/mac so i'm included in that).

3. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Microsoft can't make a photo program to SYNC with iPhones and iCloud Photos. Only Apple can.

90% of the world are Windows users, so Apple not making this product is punishing their customers for their choice of computer. Is that really good business for the minority computer OS maker?

Apple makes iTunes. They make Apple Music for Android. They made Safari for PC for a long time. Why not make something that actually encourages more use of iPhones and iCloud storage?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2018 ---
    ICloud for windows doesn't solve this problem. It's a terrible downloader, doesn't sync at all. And is totally intuitive.

So maybe the answer is that Apple can't make a decent clone of Photos for PC?

4. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

Because people are buying iphones without them making Windows software. Apple's Windows software generally (in the past) sucks. Any time or resources spent on Windows software for iOS device users who bought the device anyway is wasted effort. It will be less incentive for them to get off windows and buy a Mac or iPad.

Like i said, Apple software for Windows generally sucks. All putting out bad software for Windows does is give Apple software a bad name. Putting out some garbage for Windows is worse than doing nothing, and Apple don't have the resources to waste doing it when the outcome will likely be less sales of companion devices...

5. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Is this the kind of company we imagine Apple to be? Our stuff only can be expected to fit into your life if you use everything we sell? iPhones work great with my Sonos speakers. The iPad connects to my non Airport wifi network. My exchange account syncs natively with the iPhone. But when it comes to Photos, so central to our use of these devices, they say screw you. It's not like they ignore PC users - they make the (crappy) icloud software for syncing to Outlook. And the argument that they don't have the resources? Cmon now....

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Not even Microsoft sees much of a future for Windows, so why would Apple waste time building apps for a dying platform? FWIW macOS is not long for this world either.

7. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Then why does Apple waste time writing software for Macos? And by the way for windows?

I should have known better than pose this question here. Waste of time.

8. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

I'm not advocating that as an ideal world. Merely filling in the blanks as to why apple don't provide what you want.

ideally we could run any software on any platform but that's just not how the world works - apple have a pretty small software team, and they're biting off a lot for themselves to get sorted out with macOS and iOS, etc. as it is.

• writing software for their competitor's platform(s) and doing a crap job of it is just going to give them a bad rep.
    • writing software for their competitor's platform(s) and doing a good job will require probably more resources than they have available or are willing to commit.

9. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Proof? BTW I think it's nonsense especially the second part about MacOS.

10. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Whilst it's certainly true PC use and sales has dropped off a bit, all talk of Windows and OSXs pretty imminent demise is pretty far fetched. :eek:

Perhaps it may come closer in another 5 years or so, but right now they're still vital in how businesses run for starters!

So yeah, I'm with you here.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just one of the many apps available for windows, such as Lightroom.

12. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

13. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava