Why no physical camera button on iPhone 4?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AudiA4, Jun 9, 2010.

1. AudiA4 macrumors member

I'm not really surprised that Apple still didn't include a physical camera shutter button on iPhone 4 (for stills and video on/off) given their religious adherence to physical simplicity, BUT could Apple (or a third-party developer) provide a software update that would temporarily "reassign" one of the volume buttons as the shutter button only when the Camera or Video app is active? I absolutely HATE the soft button for the camera! It's the only thing on the whole touch-centric device that is a compromise to me.

2. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

And the buttons look like they were made for it! Dang

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Probably not going to happen. I don't remember where I heard this from but apparently pressing a hardware button could introduce more shaking than just tapping softly on the screen. Of course this doesn't really matter but Apple won't do it.

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I have a feeling that it will be in a FW update.

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i am sure "snappy" will be updated to be used in 4.0 and iphone 4. its a great app that can also take pictures from any app without closing the app.

6. mackey101 macrumors newbie

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

8. seajay96 macrumors 6502

You can almost bet it will be gone as soon as the Apple guys come back from Christmas break. This is what got Camera+ pulled so many months ago.

9. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i dont know, it was released almost 10 days ago when apple was still there. theres no way they could miss it as it talks about it right in the description. and is there even an api to do this. i dont know whether to wait and buy it and risk it going away

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Answer: Because Steve said "No."

Not trying to be flippant but this is the reality of Apple products. There isn't always a logical reason for the inclusion/removal of what most of us would consider "natural" features. But Steve and Co. decided to do thing a certain way and you can rationalize it all you want or not. They don't really care what you think. Buy their products as-is, fully subscribing to their vision and design or not. You have a choice and by choosing Apple you are effectively outsourcing your right to an opinion other than theirs.

That's why Android is so popular. There are many users who simply can't abide by giving up their opinions as to how their phone should work/operate. Its also one reason (along with piracy and theft of service) why Jailbreaking is so popular. In a weird karmic way, Steve Jobs and Apple have become "The Man" that he was so anti-establishment towards when building his empire. Microsoft has long since lost the suit of conformity and given way to Apple Conformity.

When it comes to phones, I'm happy to give up my right to an opinion. I like how iOS works, I buy their products.

But wondering and/or complaining about it is useless. Your opinion means nothing to Apple. Just your money.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's not true. If enough people give them feedback or complain they listen. Lack of a 3G antenna on the original and the antenna issue were both addressed.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

You misunderstand.

They HEAR, but they won't LISTEN unless what they are hearing happens to already fit with their own ideal view of user experience.

Complain/suggest improvements/whatever all you want. Your opinion is meaningless to Apple. The only thing that has value is their vision. If you happen to be complaining about something that corresponds to their vision, fine. Otherwise....bow to their Infinite Loop Wisdom.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Meh, this is one of the issues that doesn't really bother me.

14. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I don't really mind it. And a lot of people haven't really complained about it since the 1st gen iPhone, so I think their mentality is that it ain't broke, so they shouldn't fix it for the minority.

15. iAd4m macrumors member

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually, I had the Camera + solution for the volume button and never used it

The soft button works fine for me
    What many don't realize is, you don't have to punch the button
    The shutter doesn't release until AFTER you release your touch on the button

Holding my finger on the button, lining up and releasing actually gives me a better experience than squeezing the volume button

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This is nonsense.

Without 3G the iPhone would not be where it is today. Apple had no choice but to add it in.

In the eyes of many customers and carriers outside of the US, the original iPhone was crippled by not having 3G.

As for the antenna issue, Apple only responded there because they had such negative PR.

People have been requesting that Apple provide a multitude of features - they haven't listened.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps they listened, evaluated, and determined not to release those features for a variety of reasons... cost, design, battery life, ergonomics, form factor, etc.

I use Apple products because of ease of use, they work for me and I like the design and implementation. While some abhor iTunes, the closed eco-system, et. al. I find it enhances my experience tremendously. I would say the vast majority of consumers feel the same and that is why Apple's products (iPad, iPhone, et. al.) are flying off the shelves. Choice is good. Those that want other choices have them in Android, etc.

For me, Apple works

19. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I never used it either but now I use Fast Snap from Cydia which allows me to use the volume buttons.

I do use the on screen button sometimes but I feel the pressure of my finger makes the phone move slightly which then leaves me with a blurred image.

20. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I feel embarrassed admitting this but I had to thank you. After having an iPhone for almost 3 years, I did not know you could do this lol thanks for the tip.

21. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

22. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

*edit*
    never mind, figured it out. Not as good as the old Camera+.