(why) no podcasts?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wiesenlooser, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

So - am I the only one who would like to listen to podcasts on his Apple Watch? I mostly listen to podcasts during workout. Music is jut not the right thing to me.

It seems like it is impossible to listen to podcasts on the Apple Watch - there seems to be no dedicated app, right?

2. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

The only way right now is to download the podcast to your watch - and then play that on your watch.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

It doesn't look like it. I'm sure they will add it though. It's only a matter of time.

4. Theydonboi macrumors member

Not sure if that's the case, but even if it is; it would be easy to rectify. Simply change the Media Kind properties of the file from Podcast to Music, and play it through the regular app. You'd need to download, manage through iTunes anyway.

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    You are right. However, I use overcast rather than the default podcasts, and overcast will be coming out with a watch companion soon (well I hope it's soon...). I'll need to be within phone range to listen to podcasts thought, so it'll bee more just a podcast controller than a fully independent app. But we'll probably start getting those this fall.

6. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm really disappointed by this. I listen to podcasts every day.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

To be honest I also listen to podcasts almost every day but unlike music tracks I don't really need skip, fast forward or rewind options. Once I start a podcast I just listen to it all the way through. Plus I use Bluetooth headphones which have these controls on them as well as pause and play.

8. blatch macrumors member

blatch

I'm so confused. Why would you want the podcasts on the watch, instead of the phone? Overcast will have a remote control on the watch to change playback on the phone, but in what situation will you have need of podcasts with the watch present but without the phone?

9. kovey macrumors 6502a

People want to be able to go for a run and listen to a podcast without bringing their phone. This sounds like it'll be resolved in software updates.

10. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I want to be able to select a podcast using the watch rather than using my phone and to control volume and playback of the podcast using the watch.

Perhaps this is possible?

11. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

This precisely, especially people who now have the 6+.

12. blatch macrumors member

blatch

It is. Overcast just released an update with this exact functionality as a WatchKit app.

13. Richieios26 macrumors newbie

I am of the same view the lack of controllable functions from the watch for podcast disappointed me. For instance currently I also prefer podcasts to music when at the gym and when a podcast finishes halfway through a treadmill run I'm either in blank space or have to stop get my phone out & select a new podcast. The watch as the "remote" would be better & quicker & stop the need to stop a workout!

Hopefully the Overcast app will address some/this issue as well as an update from Apple in the future

14. Wildgift macrumors 6502