Why no Pre-Order? (Predictions?)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Muligan21, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Muligan21 macrumors newbie

I'm assuming this may be some sales approach i'm overlooking but wish they would have opened Pre-Orders for the Apple Watch. I'm hearing that they are working out the pricing tiers still yet which is why they advertised only the starting price.

Any predictions of when Pre-Orders will open? I'm really thinking they'll try to get this open for Cyber Monday.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple would NEVER allow preorders of vaporware.

3. Muligan21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured they would want to get their money and run before people think about it too much.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Why would they open up preorders on Cyber Monday when said product won't launch until early next year? (My prediction is March or April 2015)

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

They don't take the money till it ships. There's no point in pre-orders before there's a firm release date - this isn't crowdfunding.

6. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

No shipping date has been announced. If Apple does pre-orders it will be when the actually announce a date.

7. Muligan21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really meant, prior to the high sell volume days of the year. Would be a quick money grab opportunity. People are already shelling out a lot of money and while people are already cashing in on Apple Christmas presents may buy one.

Was just a thought. They may want the space among their products but would be a nice combo purchase to get someone an iPhone and AWatch.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Poor Apple is down to their last $175,000,000,000.:eek: I bet they put it on Kickstarter.:D

9. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Because asking customers to go through all of the excitement of a pre-order and then not deliver the product for 4-6 months is not how you create customer satisfaction.

Also, you have to show all of your cards at once (price, specs, launch date). They clearly need more time to maneuver.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

They're still finalizing both the design and battery, along with probably other hardware items. As said, we don't even know when this thing will ship .. I could see it being pushed back to as far as March/April of 2015, so it would be wrong to charge customers 6 months out..

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

How would it be a quick money grab when they don't charge you until it ships? Further, since there is no release date, it would be hell for customer service to deal with every dumb@$$ calling in weekly wanting to know when their watch will ship and/or when they will finally charge them even though no announce date has been released. Not to mention how pissed off people get when they have to wait....

12. Bazilemac macrumors regular

Well AT&T certainly took my money and I have no confirmation my 6 plus shipped yet

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

But Apple did not. They aren't *******s.

14. rcp27 macrumors regular

They have been pretty vague on price points. They have only stated that the "Apple watch starts at $349". That could mean the cheapest possible version (likely the small size sport) or it could be the stainless steel model (the one without a suffix to the name). They may be waiting to see how the public respond to this price point and how the manufacturing costs work out to decide what other price points will be. They were also really noncommittal on a release date, so they probably want to avoid the really bad publicity if they take orders now and can't deliver until, say, after Easter.

15. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Hey, I said Apple, not AT&T, LOL.

But seriously though - was it on a credit card or debit card, and was it an actual hold or a transaction?

When I go to my credit card account it shows an authorization, but the charge hasn't been processed.

16. xyion1 macrumors regular

they don't have regulatory approval so they can't sell it...says so right on the web site

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

17. gadgetguy11 macrumors newbie

I am hoping for pre-order in mid to late January, with release 30 days later. :rolleyes: