Why No Price Drop For The UK?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PannaKO, Jul 17, 2019.

1. PannaKO, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019

PannaKO macrumors member

It seems that there hasn't been the same price drop for storage on the UK store?

If so, can anyone guess as to why?

2. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/09/storage-upgrades-price-drop/

Probably got a better deal from their suppliers. The prices for the upgrades are still relatively high compared to open market, but at least it's getting better.

3. mikey8811 macrumors member

These are about the same prices as when I purchased my iMac back in early May from the education store - unless there is a further discount on storage upgrades.

4. PannaKO thread starter macrumors member

I don't think there has been a further discount in line with the US.
    I took a screenshot in March for a maxed out iMac and the price is exactly the same as now.

It seems a bit harsh as we've been left out when the prices here seem higher already...

5. G4DPII macrumors regular

G4DPII

Apple treat all customers with equality? That would be the day. We don't get to see such benefits. I looked just after this magical and histoical announcement and saw that our prices were exactkly the same as before.

It's okay we'll be treated equally when they put the prices up though.

6. jseq macrumors newbie

I believe the price drop only happens when you upgrade the storage to at least 1TB ssd. In Portugal it’s around 200€ less!

7. PannaKO thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, you're very likely to be right about that...

Yes, I upgraded to 2TB SSD and unfortunately there's still no drop in price than from March.
    I guess there must be some tax/customs thing from the UK that's excluding us from enjoying this benefit.

8. theluggage macrumors 68040

The price cuts were on the larger SSD options, and I'm pretty sure they've been passed on.

Bear in mind that the exchange rate is currently £1 = $1.25 (read it and weep) but the UK prices include VAT at 20%. You don't need a calculator to see that by the time you've divided by 1.25 and then multiplied by 1.20 you're only a couple of dongles away from $1 = £1... then someone has to pay for EU/UK product certification, stricter statutory warranties and painting a £ sign on the keyboard...

For the iMac 5k, 3.6GHz 8-core, 64GB, 2GB SSD, Vega I'm getting:

UK: £4,544 vs US: $4,849

So if you work it out:

$4849 / 1.25 = £ 3879, but then x 1.2 for the VAT = £4655

...so the UK is actually getting it for slightly under the odds. Don't complain, lest Tim Cook checks today's Sterling rate...

I remember the good old days last century when when the £ was higher, VAT was lower, and UK computer prices were quoted excluding VAT anyway - and they were still the US price with the $ changed to £, and grabbing a cheap flight to New York to grab a PowerBook was a viable proposition... Tell that to kids today and they don't believe you...

9. Lankyman macrumors 68000

This is what happens when the country votes for Brexit. It is only likely to get worse - oh no! wait! that's project fear.

10. Trusteft macrumors 6502a

Trusteft

11. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Blimey, I have just bought roughly the same machine for £2050.00

12. Zandros macrumors member

Current storage upgrade prices for the UK are broadly in-line with current US storage upgrade prices. If you actually had the same prices back in March, you've gotten a better deal than the rest of the world for some time.

So, there seems to be nothing to be upset about here with respect to the UK prices in particular.