Why no QUAD penryn?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gloor, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry if there was a thread about it but I probably missed it. Why didn't they update it with quad penryns? What's the point of the update? Just 45nm and SSE4? That doesn't really make an update, does it?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know, but a guess might be heat. Are there even laptop quads? :confused:

Not an update? Is what's available now different to yesterday morning, yes, so it's an update.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As far as I am aware the quads are desktop CPUs. I might be wrong on that but I'm fairly certain.

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

there are a couple of quad core laptops around.

why would you want quad core? the dual core's are kicking the quad's due to higher speeds.

Also, there are barely a handful of apps that utilize quad core.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As others have stated its down to heat,if you had one of those in your notebook you could double it up as hot plate and cook some eggs on it (MBP anyways lots of metal=lots of heat)

6. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rendering for example? When you do a project outside of your home and you need to render it quickly, 4 cores will cut the time in half. Huge save!

If other companies can offer quad, why not Apple? Also, metal distributes heat better than plastic, so it could be a good thing that they are metal. :)

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I guarantee you no one offering a quad laptop does it in an inch thick casing with any reasonable battery life.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If other companies can offer quad, why not Apple? Also, metal distributes heat better than plastic, so it could be a good thing that they are metal. :)[/QUOTE]

Not in a 1'' thin metal laptop,maybe in some 3'' thick windows plastic brick

9. wrightc23 macrumors regular

There aren't actually any true mobile quad cores out yet.

As for dual core's kicking their ass, I doubt that, for games a dual core might hold a slight edge because it's probably more overclockable but for everything else a quad core is superior. Notice that Intel are phasing our dual core extreme models.

Montevina will lead to a Penryn based mobile extreme quad core being available. I doubt that will find it's way into an MBP.

When Nehalem mobile appears next year there will be standard quad core models.

I'd guess a likely date for a quad core MBP would be this time next year. Whether Apple would ever put a quad core into the current MBP is highly unlikely. I suspect when a quad core appears in an Apple notebook it will be for a completely new product.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The explanation is quite simple that a mobile derived Quad-core does not exist yet.

Those few other that have managed to put a Quad-core into a notebook is desktop based.

11. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

I c. I thought that all penryns are quad now as I thought that that was the whole point of it. I was spoiled by my new MP2008 so that caused the confusion. Well, lets hope that nehalem will change that :)

12. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

You are going to see more frequent updates from Apple I suspect. Intel has a tradition of updating their product line much faster than PowerPC (IBM) ever did. Apple will have to keep pace because companies like Dell, Gateway will update as soon as anything new from Intel is released. They have to "keep up with the Jones" so to speak.