Why no quick brightness slider on iPhone?

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Any guesses as to why Apple still hasn't put a brightness slider in either the notifications window or the multitasking tray? The iPad has one, so surely they recognize the utility. They have a volume slider in the tray, which seems redundant with the physical volume buttons. Why not make that a brightness slider instead?

If auto brightness worked better, I guess it wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell auto brightness only really works if you go into a bright room or outdoors, and is constrained by where you set the slider. If you like a real dim screen to read in the dark, you only get about 1/3 brightness in a lit room. If you move the slider to a higher setting, it seems like it won't dim all the way when you go back to a dark room.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I agree 100%. I like to have immediate control of my brightness on my iPhone which is the main reason why I jailbroke it. I upgraded to iOS 6 though so I miss that feature I added through the jailbreak. It really needs to be in the tray replacing the volume (we have buttons) or like you said in the notification center like android.

quietstormSD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I agree too. Instead of putting twitter and facebook into Notification center, they should have added brightness, bluetooth toggle and wifi toggle.

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I couldn't agree more.

Seriously, as you say, the volume slider is pretty useless in the tray. At least give us an option?

But preferably just a quick easy slider in the notifications panel would be fantastic.

Same with Wifi, Airplane Mode etc :)

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I couldn't agree more.

Seriously, as you say, the volume slider is pretty useless in the tray. At least give us an option?

But preferably just a quick easy slider in the notifications panel would be fantastic.

Same with Wifi, Airplane Mode etc :)
Agreed. Adding stuff like that to the notifications panel is the only reason I still jailbreak.

PLEASE APPLE!

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
If auto brightness worked better, I guess it wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell auto brightness only really works if you go into a bright room or outdoors, and is constrained by where you set the slider. If you like a real dim screen to read in the dark, you only get about 1/3 brightness in a lit room. If you move the slider to a higher setting, it seems like it won't dim all the way when you go back to a dark room.
I've always been very sensitive to screen brightness.

On the iPhone 5 they seem to have perfected it. It finally looks great no matter how bright the surroundings are. It goes from very dim in the dark to very bright in sunlight with just the right proportion throughout the range. I'm thrilled.