Why no quick brightness slider on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by protobiont, Sep 27, 2012.

1. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Any guesses as to why Apple still hasn't put a brightness slider in either the notifications window or the multitasking tray? The iPad has one, so surely they recognize the utility. They have a volume slider in the tray, which seems redundant with the physical volume buttons. Why not make that a brightness slider instead?

If auto brightness worked better, I guess it wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell auto brightness only really works if you go into a bright room or outdoors, and is constrained by where you set the slider. If you like a real dim screen to read in the dark, you only get about 1/3 brightness in a lit room. If you move the slider to a higher setting, it seems like it won't dim all the way when you go back to a dark room.

2. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I agree 100%. I like to have immediate control of my brightness on my iPhone which is the main reason why I jailbroke it. I upgraded to iOS 6 though so I miss that feature I added through the jailbreak. It really needs to be in the tray replacing the volume (we have buttons) or like you said in the notification center like android.

3. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I agree too. Instead of putting twitter and facebook into Notification center, they should have added brightness, bluetooth toggle and wifi toggle.

4. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I couldn't agree more.

Seriously, as you say, the volume slider is pretty useless in the tray. At least give us an option?

But preferably just a quick easy slider in the notifications panel would be fantastic.

Same with Wifi, Airplane Mode etc :)

5. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Agreed. Adding stuff like that to the notifications panel is the only reason I still jailbreak.

PLEASE APPLE!

7. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

The auto brightness on iPhone 5 is much better

8. EggrollShop macrumors member

It is improved but for convenance sake it would be nice to have a quick brightness slider.

9. protobiont thread starter macrumors 6502a

For some reason that link kicks me straight to iTunes Store on my iPad, using safari.

10. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Go back to safari it should be open in a new tab.

I think its a bug because it does it with me often!

11. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I've always been very sensitive to screen brightness.

On the iPhone 5 they seem to have perfected it. It finally looks great no matter how bright the surroundings are. It goes from very dim in the dark to very bright in sunlight with just the right proportion throughout the range. I'm thrilled.

12. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Thanks to this thread I found the brightness slider on my iPad!

Nice one! :D

13. jacobss macrumors 6502

I agree with you, they should change that volume slider for a brightness slider. I never use that volume slider anyway.