Why no restart option!?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Gix1k, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

When things run abnormally, I tend to restart my phone. What's so hard about adding the option to restart in addition to power off!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is really no restart option at all, there's basically power off or rest. In the case of reset it's there mainly when things aren't responding so by nature it has to be done through the most basic of controls, meaning not using any on-screen functionality or anything like that (as maybe the screen would become unresponsive or you can't see anything on it for some reason) and just some hardware functionality (like using a couple of existing buttons to do it).

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

What is so hard about holding the power button for two seconds once its turned off?

I mean seriously?

4. Act3 macrumors 65816

nothing... But I agree with the OP. A restart feature would be convenient. When I select reset network settings , my phone reboots.. If I change from regular to bold fonts, my phone reboots. A simple reboot selection shouldn't be very hard to add.

5. nangariel macrumors member

What's so hard about doing the soft reset if you want to restart? Just hold the home button and power button simultaneously for a couple of seconds...

6. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Yes there already is a restart option if off and on is somehow too hard.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What is it you guys want? An 'App' button on the Home page that everytime you accidently hit it restarts the phone and when the phone is frozen doesn't work? Or do you want an added hardware button that resets every time you accidentally push it. I don't see 'butt' resetting as an added feature. Resetting needs to be something that requires extra effort (just the way it is).

8. geekguy123 macrumors member

Because sometimes you'd like to not have to wait for the power down and then have to push the power button after that's done.

I'd like the option, sometimes I just want a restart and would like to put the phone back in my pocket and come back later.

That being said, now that I have a 6+, shut down is ridiculously fast (it appears to be shut down the second after I swipe to do so) and start is very fast as well. So it doesn't much matter to me now but when I had an older device, restart was handy.

9. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

If you hold down the home button and the power button together for a couple of seconds the screen will turn black. Keep holding them down until the Apple logo comes back on. it's a hard reset/restart. Is this what you're referring to?

10. geekguy123 macrumors member

I know of that option. From what I've read, it's a last resort option and not something that should be done often.

11. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

Correct, this will force quit and restart the phone. Not terrible, but I guess you're looking for a "soft" restart. I guess a little option next to the slides which would be a pretty good idea. But who knows if they'll add it in a future release.

12. geekguy123 macrumors member

Yeah, I don't quite understand why Apple doesn't offer it. As mentioned above, certain changes to settings will bring about a restart so there is value to a soft restart. OS X offers a restart function; I understand they are completely different operating systems but for continuity, why not include it? I rarely actually shut down my computer but I do restart every now and then if something is buggy.

But then again, I will jailbreak when it's available so I can get more functionality.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I'm guessing Apple don't want their iDevices to seem like traditional PCs that need restarting every once in a while due to problems or new installations, drivers etc. They want to eliminate that as a concern, so the ability to reset is hidden (with the long home+power button press others have mentioned).

The only time iOS forces/asks you to restart is for system updates and resets... You rarely have to do it after installing apps, changing settings, installing new hardware or whatever. The concept of restarting as we know it from desktops just doesn't really apply to iDevices in their normal use.

Of course, there are plenty of reasons to want to restart, but none are really accepted by Apple. The main one being bugs and glitches. But I think adding this option is admitting a need to restart because of bugs is really common.

14. geekguy123 macrumors member

Well said. :)