Why no retina icons for popular apps like ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by magmasilk, Apr 19, 2012.

1. magmasilk macrumors newbie

Why no retina icons for popular apps like ... Words with friends or weather channel? I believe they both have been updated recently? Is it just me?

2. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Yes this bugs me too, especially when the icon is hi-res in the app store! But when you install it, it shows as low res on the iPad home screen.

3. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Curious how much code re-write this requires for retina? Could be simple or very time consuming.

I agree, write em all in retina!!

4. Mikekan, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

Mikekan macrumors regular

I want more updates for Retina, very few apps have been updated! Come on it can be so hard to update games likes Solitairy City or Bejeweled Blitz! :confused:

5. barryl85 macrumors regular

One that makes me laugh is Angry Birds HD icon - its low res.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Personally I can happily live without glossy icons occupying more space on my iPad....I would much prefer the app's themselves to be High Res.

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

This is just talking about the icon on home page, which requires zero recoding, just updating the resource.

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yes agree. Only the new Space is designed for Retina display! They're pretty lazy aye :D

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

My weather channel app icon went retina when app updated couple weeks ago.

10. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Updating the resource can itself be a time intensive task, especially if a developer hasn't got high resolution source material to work with. For example, if the developer has created a 64x64 pixel (or whatever dimension the icons are) image, but hasn't created one at 128x128, then the developer is likely to have to create the 128x128 icon from scratch.

You also have to factor in the time it takes for apps to be approved by Apple - sometimes it can go quickly, other times it won't. It also depends on whether Apple actually check updates to applications as thoroughly as new application submissions.

11. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Not really, they have to have a high res icon for app store anyway. they just need to update the app icon itself to be the same.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Words With Friends got an update recently but not to support retina display graphics, annoyingly.

13. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

That high res icon has also increased in size. I guess that Apple will require all the icon assets to be updated for the Retina iPad.

14. dancj macrumors 6502

I don't think it has. Unless I'm mistaken the hi res icons for iPad 3 icons are the same resolution as the hi res icons for iPhone 4 and 4s.

That's why the universal apps already have retina icons on the new iPad.

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The hi res size the developer has to submit is bigger than you see on screen.

16. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I agree. I'll be looking at the app itself more than the icons, which only receive a cursory glance when I'm clicking on them. So for me the resolution of icons is inconsequential.

17. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Is it just me or are Apple's own iTunes U and Airport Utility apps still low-res?

18. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

Exactly, the rest wil
    Update soon enough

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iTunes U has been updated specifically for Retina iPad. But I haven't used it.

Airport Uility has NOT be updated. The icon looks fine, it carried over from iPhone likely. Not sure why Apple didn't update it, probably for same reason they don't update their Store app to support iPad. Maybe they figure no one uses it and don't care to dedicate man hours to fixing them.