Why no rumors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Why are there no rumors of the 2012 MBP? Nothing seems to be surfacing :(

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the MBP was just released not too long ago ... check back in 5 months

3. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Not only that, but the MBP upgrades are usually pretty uneventful when they are between new designs.

Just the guts get predictable bumps in specs,and the occasional addition of a new port (or the removal of one). Follow the Intel processor release cycles and you can have a pretty good idea of when the next MBP will release.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Wait till December and the first will corp up.
    Jan/Feb is the rumor season where the rumor engine really runs full throttle probably.
    Feb/May/April will be the waiting game with lots of bored people who rumor away like there is nothing else to do in the world. (If 2010 was any indication)

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yep, which is why I just got this year's model.

But I mean, what is there to talk about? If we don't know anything, it doesn't make sense to guess when it's that far out.

6. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

Wait, I've been waiting to upgrade my 2007 MBP for a 2012 one because it is supposed to be a complete redesign (not just a spec bump). Is this not the case anymore?

7. sivosam macrumors member

It never officially was the case. Just random (many likely made up) rumors saying this and that.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

As the guy above me stated, it's rumors and speculation. Apple has a tendency to do things "out of the blue" and throw everybody off (releasing Lion /MBA with the earnings call was one a lot of people got wrong in terms of the date).

If you like the machine that is released now and it fits all of your requirements, get the machine now.

I could have simply waited and kept my 07 MacBook that fit the bit quite nicely but I hated having a terrible graphics card along with the two-finger trackpad.

I ended up selling it and getting a new MBP.

Is there going to be a refresh next year? Probably. However, for my uses, this MB is going to last me for at least 3-4 years, so I got it.

If it does everything you want it to do, there really isn't a reason to wait, that is, unless there's some stuff you want more out of it and you can afford to wait.

Occasionally Apple gives the new update something 'big"; the processor bump for the 2011 and better Wifi chip is small compared to the additions they gave to the MBA.

9. windows4ever macrumors member

windows4ever

There may not be any rumors, but there are conjectures about the 2012 Macbook line. We know that optical drives are going away. My prediction is that Apple will essentially merge the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro lines when they come out with the 2012 models.

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

Everybody seems to disagree with me, but I believe Apple is coming with a new MBP this year already, the MBA 15" & 17".

Reasons for this, new Sandy Bridge CPU's are being released soon. And Ivy Bridge is released almost 1.5 years after Sandy Bridge, Apple has never waited that long for a MBP refresh.

So I'm willing to bet there is going to be an upgrade between Ivy Bridge and the "old" Sandy Bridge. Intel could release it's new Sandy Bridge CPU's next month already.

11. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

Well, I totally agree with you :p
    But those new Intel CPU's from SB are coming out 5,6 or 7th september, I'm not sure what is was :p
    So I hope that Apple brings a new 17" laptop before the 3th week of september, so I can buy it and use it for college :p

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

there not gonna update there entire line of pros just because of a minor CPU upgrade.

13. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

they'll also can put blue-tooth 4.0 in it ;)

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nobody but Apple knows, I don't know who started spreading that 2012 redesign crap but I strongly doubt that's going to happen.

15. wct097 macrumors 6502

Despite the name of the site, posting rumors and speculation is usually met with a large dose of negativity around here.

I lost count of the number of times people were slammed for various ideas/rumors/thoughts prior to the last MBP release.

edit: Case in point, the post above mine.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Not many care, Apples in the Post PC Era now. It's all about iOS and app sales.

17. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

I hope they keep the air and the pro line seperate and leave the optical drive in there are some parts of the country and the world that dont have broadband internet or have throttle limits so streaming is not viable for them.

18. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

I think it's best that Apple let us chose.
    I mean, for those who wants an optical drive, they can have it, for those who doesn't need it, they can replace it with batteries and/or 2nd hdd or ssd :)

19. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

So they will probably be updating the MBPs with the newer faster sandybridge processors, then come March/April 2012, Ivy Bridge?

If that's the case, I'll be waiting until March/April 2012. But with Apple you never know... just look at the delayed iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

20. ljonesj, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

It sort of a given that the iphone would be updated but it never was for the ipad. Now the macbooks its a possibility but not given either. My thing is go ahead and bring out if the people want the mba 15 and 17 but leave the pro ones alone with the optical drives maybe bring the price down on the 13 or bring in a macbook pro 11in with optical for the ones that want one to replace the white macbooks at the 11in mba price for people to choose which model. i went with the pro cause of 4gb of ram and the aluminum unibody back in 2010.

If someone came up to me and said i will buy you a 13in mac computer i would go with the pro all the way for hd replacement and ram replacement it makes the pro more future proof for a while than the air can be. personaly i think not being able to replace the ram on the airs is a major design flaw

21. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I could see a major redesign of the MBP in 2012 similar to that of the MacBook Air with the tapered design.

I'd like to see the same number of ports as the current MBP but with USB 3.0 so that I have more options for fast storage.

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

Maybe I should have elaborated more. This is probably why my post has been modded down -2.

A redesign to make it look like a large macbook air, which is what people are toting around as the next direction the MBP is going would probably not happen. Economically speaking it would be a bad idea, and it would lead to too many compromises in the power the computer could have.

Seeing as a redesign should be viewed as an "upgrade", the computer would have to retain at least the amount of power it has right now, or more, the same, or more battery life, etc. This is not possible with the current technology being used, maybe in a few years though.

I'm not shooting down the idea of a newly designed MBP, I'm shooting down the idea of it happening this soon after the unibody came out(it hasn't even been 3 years yet).

Better?

23. wct097 macrumors 6502

I'm not actually complaining, just pointing out a fact. I think you are, and MR in general is, pretty much spot on. Real info is a closely guarded secret. We generally don't have anything reliable until right before the release. Buy when you need to buy. Speculation isn't anything more than speculation.

I do, however, enjoy rabid speculation. I admit that when I was holding out for my 2011 15" MBP, I was eating up every bit of it and hoping for liquid metal coloring.

24. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

if you need it get it now if you can wait then wait xD

25. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, I recall the whirling rumor mill in the weeks prior to launch, it was quite spectacular.

I'm buying my next one within about 2 years, probably just before I graduate from university to use the uni discount one last time. Hopefully it'll be pretty soon after a refresh.