Why no sapphire crystal for aluminium Apple Watches?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tapiture, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Seriously, it’s ridiculous how easily the Ion-X Glass scratches and it really has no place on a watch. You can get some really cheap watches that have sapphire crystal.

2. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Apple knows we want it, so they've structured pricing to push us upmarket. They are quite good at it.

3. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

You’re exactly right, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be mad at them for it, haha.

4. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

It’s too bad. The best part of the SS is the sapphire screen.

I’m sure it’s a cost issue. Sapphire is notoriously difficult to manufacture.

5. Relentless Power, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Share your thoughts. I owned the Sport model when it first launched , and I was not happy with the durability with the Ion-X Glass. It showed hairline scratches very easily and I upgraded to the stainless model. And I have zero scratches due to the Sapphire coating. Well worth it for that alone on the stainless model.

6. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

Anyone try using a screen protector for the Ion-X glass? A friend swears by it.

7. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I am pretty careful with my watches. This is my first apple watch. If I get scratches during one year ownership I will get one with a Sapphire crystal next year.

8. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

I’m incredibly careful with my Apple devices — I use only the correct cloths to clean the screen, make sure it’s clear of dust before I wipe it off, keep it away from hard, sharp edges etc. but my AW Sport has surface-scratches galore. I’ve had it for a year but the first scratches showed up a week after I bought it. You will get surface scratches on the Ion-X Glass guaranteed.

9. satchmo macrumors 68020

Honest question, but aren't iPhones made with Ion-X Glass?
    If so, my iPhone 6 with no screen protector has held up very well with barely any blemishes.

10. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

It's hilarious to me, though, that you can't have a scratch-free watch. The aluminum casing can remain flawless in appearance while the glass is scratched to hell. Or, you have a stainless watch with pristine glass and a case that is scratched to hell. There's no winning!

11. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Well, at least blemishes on the SS models can be "buffed (polished) right out".

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

They can be buffed out with a Cape Cod cloth. Easy to do an affordable.

13. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Yes, I have used one of a few screen savers on my first generation Rose Gold AWS since it was first taken out of the box.

Once in a while, a more than superficial scratch appears on the screen saver. I tend to try to ignore it, but when I no longer can do so, I peel off the screen saver and install a new one. Ion-X Glass is still 100% perfect.

14. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

S0 here, and my screen has zero scratches.
    Used every single day, washing my car, cutting hedges everything, hence going for the Aluminium again.

15. MichaelDT macrumors regular

Meh, it’s hard to read the sapphire covered display in bright daylight, which is a big deal if you’re into outdoor activities such as running, hiking, or paddling. I’ll stick with glass. They’re consumable devices anyways, if my display lasts 3 years then it’s done its job. I’ve never had a sports watch that wasn’t all beat up when I was done. I’d prefer a stronger case material than aluminum but s.s. is too heavy.

16. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I really wouldn't say that's true. I've had a stainless steel series 0 since launch day and can honestly say I've never had a problem reading the screen when outside. S2 and S3 now have screens that are even brighter, so even if it had been an issue (which it hasn't) it would be sorted now with the increased brightness.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No matter how careful you are, anything you wear will take on occasional hits and scuffs.

18. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I know I would GLADLY pay more for a sapphire screen in an aluminum case....I just don't like heavy watches, so I would only choose aluminum as SS feels so much heavier to me. Heck, I'd pay the same price as an SS for an aluminum with a sapphire screen, giving Apple an even bigger profit margin! Unfortunately Apple won't let me waste my money that way. :)

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Two years with my S0 sport and I have been impressed with how durable the screen is. I don't take it off for much of anything; working on my cars, on the house, in the yard, etc and it has survived some pretty nasty scrapes without any obvious damage. Sure, if I polish the screen and look at it just so under a bright light there are some scratches, but the glass Apple has chosen is more than up to the task.

20. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Hold it under a halogen light or look at it out in the sun - I bet you’ve got a few scratches.

21. MichaelDT macrumors regular

I seriously doubt that the sapphire has resolved its brightness issues, it has a higher reflectance which is a physical property that can’t be changed unless the material is changed or the the screen is textured. Maybe the new screens are brighter, but then that means the glass is even better. Even with my S0 glass there have been times out on the lake or on a mountain above the tree line where I had to cup my hand over it to read it. It may just be a difference in our locations as well, in the American Mountain West the sun is almost always out and bright even when it’s very cold, often making even trying to read an iPhone useless.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Excellent point. Even my iPhone 7 Plus display looks like it's flawless, which it primarily is. But under direct light and holding at a certain angle, you can see very minuscule hairline scratches, but barely visible. Even a microfiber cloth could potentially scratch the display, if it had debris embedded unseen to the eye.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have multiple times as I tend to run outside and my sport's model has no noticeable scratches.

Sure I can use a scanning tunneling microscope to uncover minute scratches but overall, my sport watch has held up extremely well and devoid of any scratches.

24. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Same her but I've only had my series
    2 Nike watch since around January. I use mine all the time and have
    Zero noticeable scratches. There are
    Probably some if I study it closely under intense light but nothing that I ever see while looking at it every day, so it doesn't bother me if those exist.

25. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Hm, interesting. Maybe you don’t clean yours like we do so you avoid dragging any dust or microscopic fragments across the glass.