Why no screen mirroring with Airplay?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Why can't Apple just use this screen mirroring to the Apple TV using Airplay? Why can it ONLY be used for special apps that are designed to allow it?

I mean the HDMI cable sounds like a good solution for the Apple TV-less out there, but can't apple make a screen mirror setting that you can flip on to "watch" your iPad through your Apple TV? Would it really be THAT difficult to design?

2. Deamos macrumors member

That is for the iPad 2 HD or iPad 3. If you should have learned something about apple, it is that they will give you just enough to call it an upgrade & then when either someone complains about the lack of a feature or jailbreakers get it first, Apple then will release it in the next iOS and usually only supported on the new hardware.

3. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Airplay doesn't work in the same way as an HDMI cable. It sends the original video files to the AppleTV and they are decoded on that end. Providing an exact mirror of the display would require much more bandwidth than wireless connections currently provide.

4. dKran macrumors member

I believe at this point airplay is too laggy. You notice when you begin to stream videos, or swipe between photos, etc. It takes a few seconds for said action to get to the television. It's the same reason we're not seeing games airplayed up to the television, it would be impossible to play.

They could enable it I'm sure, but it would take away from the elegance and flow of the experience.

5. tac22 macrumors 6502

yea everyone here is basically right, so basically the ipad would have to do 2 things to use airplay as it works today, it would have to record whats going on the screen as a h264 encoded video and then stream it wirelessly at a rather large delay.

possible, but not seamless, more of a workaround

6. Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

7. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Wrong. It's because of bandwidth and latency. Should be obvious really :rolleyes:

8. kiljoy616 macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

Blame Wi-Fi for that but really that a lot of information going thru someone local network. :(

Either way I used my ipad 2 to send the video from the presentation to my tv and it worked flawless and no stuttering.:cool: Yes there was about a 5 or so second before started but after that it ran effortless I for one was very impressed considering how bad all this was to do just a year ago.:D Also don't forget that Wifi is not free it will eat your battery the more you push thru it.

I for one think Apple has done a great job on Airplay and now it would seem we may have even more fun with it.

So I really can't see sending a blu-ray movie thru that medium.:( But lets give those engineers time and who know what they will come up with. Like 802.11ac who knows.

9. RandomGuy26 macrumors regular

you can now.. with the new iOS5.. not sure if its working in the beta.. but it was covered in the keynote..