Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anastasis

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2002
Houston, TX
It seems that the MacBook would be the perfect condidate for an SD memory card slot on the side, since the Express cards are not readily available yet. Are there any specific reasons why Apple continues to keep it off?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I don't think many people would use that feature, as most cameras and whatnot hook up through USB, and if you're going to put an SD slot on there, you'd really have to add a ton more for all those other formats. Plus, you can always get an external card reader if need be. No need to complicate the sleek design.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
because if you add an sd slot, you'd have to add a slot for compact flash, ms duo, and every other mainstream flash media.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
I don't need that crap on my laptop. You can buy a $30 dongle for it you want it. This is what is meant by "keep it simple". I hate the whole "everything and the kitchen sink" approach a lot of PC laptops take.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Talking of keeping it simple, doss anybody know of a CF card reader that connects WITHOUT a stupid cord? e.g. plugs into USB2 like a Shuffle?

The cords seem so pointless for a laptop.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Spectrum said:
Talking of keeping it simple, doss anybody know of a CF card reader that connects WITHOUT a stupid cord? e.g. plugs into USB2 like a Shuffle?

If you have a Powerbook, I think they make CF readers that fit in the PC card slot. The MacBook Pro doesn't have any out for it yet, I'm pretty sure.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Spectrum said:

You mean like this one?

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
livingfortoday said:
If you have a Powerbook, I think they make CF readers that fit in the PC card slot. The MacBook Pro doesn't have any out for it yet, I'm pretty sure.
Yes, I've been considering a Cardbus CF reader. But a few points I'm not sure of:
Can you keep them plugged-in all the time?
Do they protrude from the case at all?
If you're meant to remove them when not in use, are they hot-pluggable?

Finally, seeing as the Cardbus slot has been dropped from future Macs, it seems like a poor investment.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
its easier to just get a universal external card reader...saves space and weight and can read all different types of flash cards

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
i once had one duck taped to the underside of my desk, that was really nice because it was plugged into a USB hub located behind the monitor and was easly accesable, now glass desk and ducktape socially unacceptable.

Firstdance2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2016
It seems that the MacBook would be the perfect condidate for an SD memory card slot on the side, since the Express cards are not readily available yet. Are there any specific reasons why Apple continues to keep it off?
[doublepost=1466700688][/doublepost]Using a USB card reader will give you what you want for the Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.