Why no song search in iphone/touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, Jun 4, 2008.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

Why isnt there a search option for songs and stuff with iphone like in the older models (5G rev 2 for example)?

2. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

i have noo idea.
    strange, strange iphone\ipodtouch. even my 3g nano has search!
    thats more outdated than my mums sunnies

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I still can't quite think up a situation where this would be necessary. Isn't artist/album/song navigation already quick enough?

4. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

Not in my opinion. I think being able to type the first few letters of what you're looking for would be much quicker than having to scroll down a list to find it. I don't have an iPhone yet, but I hope it's in the next update. If they can do it for contacts, they can do it for songs!

EDIT: Especially considering the thing has a touch screen keyboard interface. It's a shocking oversight.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I suppose. I've always considered using the Smart Scroll on the side to be plenty fast enough.

6. jontucker macrumors 6502

I don't have a Sherman Tank but I think it would be much easier to drive with bigger windows so you can see more!

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Yeah, they always tout Spotlight (rightfully so) and they always talk about how the iPhone is running OS X, so why not include Spotlight in some form? Not necessarily just for music, but how about contacts, email and notes too?

That being said...the search on the iPod sucks. Trying to use the darn scroll wheel to move to each letter takes forever.

I've got like 35gigs of music, so there are ton of artists. It takes literally 2-3 minutes to scroll through the whole list, so search is the only option, but that takes about as long.

I preferred when they had the variable scroll speed so if you kept turning it quickly, it would get faster. Plus it displayed an overlay of what letter you were on! I really have no idea why they got rid of that. Seems like they could have kept it and added search...

8. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

I haven't used it, so you may be right. But even so, it has a keyboard interface, we should be able to use it! As I said, fingers crossed for 2.0!

It would indeed - but there's a reason they have small windows, and changing that would be silly. What's the reason for not having a search option on the iPhone?

It's not like my comment was "ZOMG THEY SHOULD LET YOU SEARCH!!1!!ONE!!!!" It was reasoned and gave my opinion. What was the reason for your snippy comment that contributed nothing to the actual discussion we are having here? People like you are the reason I don't post very often on here - I can't be bothered dealing with the crap.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I agree that search should be an option, I just personally haven't experienced a need for it. That little bar on the right side lets you zoom instantly to any song/artist/album by first letter, and it's typically one swipe from there to get to the exact one you're looking for.

(I just did a few tests: thought up random songs and checked how long it took me to find them on my iPod touch - some songs I can find almost instantly, while others take a few more flicks, but are still reasonably quick. I could see search being useful in some circumstances.)

10. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

11. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure, smart scroll is a great feature if you know the beginning of the name of the song, what if you only know the second word or the damn song hasnt been tagged right so that it has a number in front of it, like a "4".

Thats when I'd like a search feature. :rolleyes:

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Tag your songs correctly! ;)

But yes, I see your point.

13. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

That's where Spotlight would be crucial.

I mean, imagine being on the homescreen and hitting the spotlight button. It brings up a search box. You type "Jack" and it instantly starts listing songs that have the artist field of "Ben Harper/Jack Johnson", contact information and emails from your friend Bo Jackson (Bo Knows...), notes/emails about picking up a new jack to work on your car, etc.

I always thought Spotlight was incredible after switching from Windows and their crappy search that takes 20 minutes to search a folder.

14. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty good idea actually, would be a nice feature

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As others have said, why would you need this with the smart side lettered?

Very easy to use

16. fraserwallace macrumors newbie

We do need search! And there is one!

There *is* a search on iPhone iPod.

I came here because I was wondering the same thing, but then I found it.

But first, PEOPLE, if you have 2500 songs or so, even if you smart-scroll to the appropriate letter of the song title, you'd still need then to scroll throw a hundred or so songs to find your song. UGH

So I think a search is definately warrented.

It's just that it's not through the iPod options on the iPhone,

just go to the main search (slide the main menu right, or press menu when on the menu). It returns song results that you can play immediately.

YAY!

17. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

You were looking at a 3 year old thread. Things have changed a bit since then.