Why no sub-forum for sale/trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmitch

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
I can't sell here but I agree

I just wanted to say that even though I can't sell here and probably won't be able to for a long time since I don't post that often, I really appreciate the knowledge and helpful community i've found here and I definitely see the benefit in vetting members before they try to take each others money.

If I ever get to the point where I can buy and sell, I will appreciate being able to have confidence that the people I deal with have demonstrated a trustworthiness and commitment to the site and the Apple community.

So, thanks for sticking to your guns on this one guys!

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
I just wanted to say that even though I can't sell here and probably won't be able to for a long time since I don't post that often, I really appreciate the knowledge and helpful community i've found here and I definitely see the benefit in vetting members before they try to take each others money.

If I ever get to the point where I can buy and sell, I will appreciate being able to have confidence that the people I deal with have demonstrated a trustworthiness and commitment to the site and the Apple community.

So, thanks for sticking to your guns on this one guys!
Somebody gets it.

No system is perfect, and certainly the requirements in place haven't 100% prevented scammers, or failed transactions... and no system could ever be expected to be 100% scam-free.

But I'll take what we have here over eBay any day.. if you want to buy or sell, what harm is that we (the rest of the community) expect you to invest in our community first? It helps build up trust among members, and hey, maybe you learn something or teach someone else something new along the way?

If all you want to do is sell your stuff, without being a part of something bigger than yourself, there's eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc. But if you want to be a part of a community that happens to also let you buy/sell with just a little added sense of trust and camaraderie, then MR is for you.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Its because of people like the TS, that I appreciate the rules to restrict the marketplace. I actually think that the post count to get into the marketplace should be double what they ask though.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Marketplace?

What I find most annoying is that since I'm not a hardcore poster and have no access to marketplace a post I made looking for someone to GIVE my collection of classic Mac hardware and had it removed from the collector page. I really don't want to send it to my local iron shredder but what is my choice? I suppose this will be deleted as well, but sometimes a guy's gotta vent.

Last edited:

wmitch

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
really?

I really don't want to send it to my local iron shredder but what is my choice?
ok, i'm not trying to be confrontational here but are you really suggesting that your only 2 options are MacRumors or the Dump? :confused:

IMO, this is a little ridiculous since there are many other avenues for finding your stuff a new home. So are you fishing for someone to bite and PM you for your stuff? or possibly using hyperbole to make your point? or just don't want to make the effort to sell somewhere else?

For the record I hope it's the hyperbole because the other 2 would be kinda sad. :(

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What I find most annoying is that since I'm not a hardcore poster and have no access to marketplace a post I made looking for someone to GIVE my collection of classic Mac hardware and had it removed from the collector page. I really don't want to send it to my local iron shredder but what is my choice? I suppose this will be deleted as well, but sometimes a guy's gotta vent.
You also have eBay, Craigslist, local classifieds and word-of-mouth. You could even build a free website and advertise your goods there.

index1489

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
The post limit is a silly rule, I have been a member here for a long time, and don't post often but read mostly, It should be 6 months 50 posts. (Which I don't even have after 3 years)

Use heatware to determine a persons trustworthiness, or that other thing called intuition.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I want two sub forums in two sub forums on two separate sub forum sites, combined with a sub forum which tells me how i can find a certain sub forum in a sub forum on the sub forum web site.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
The post limit is a silly rule, I have been a member here for a long time, and don't post often but read mostly, It should be 6 months 50 posts. (Which I don't even have after 3 years)

Use heatware to determine a persons trustworthiness, or that other thing called intuition.
Apparently heat doesn't hold much weight here... :/

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
You also have eBay, Craigslist, local classifieds and word-of-mouth. You could even build a free website and advertise your goods there.
eBay is out since I don't want to sell, I just want some who needs it to get it. Craigslist and he freecycle avenues only bring up responces from people who look for pretty much anything free. What I was looking for was someone local who could really use that stuff. The threat of shredding is from my wife that wants all my idle accumulations to disappear.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
eBay is out since I don't want to sell, I just want some who needs it to get it. Craigslist and he freecycle avenues only bring up responces from people who look for pretty much anything free. What I was looking for was someone local who could really use that stuff. The threat of shredding is from my wife that wants all my idle accumulations to disappear.
I offered you some potential solutions, but your self-defeatist attitude is going force you to toss the stuff out to the trash.

I also don't understand something about what you said which contradictory.

...I don't want to sell, I just want some who needs it to get it. Craigslist and he freecycle avenues only bring up responces from people who look for pretty much anything free.
So what you're saying is that you don't want to sell, you want to give it away, but you don't want to give it away to anyone looking for free stuff.

The bottom line is that this site has its rules well established and they aren't going to change. The site admins do not make forum structure or rule changes willy-nilly without a lot of behind the scenes discussion. This particular complaint about the Marketplace has been brought up numerous times and yet the rule stands. The Marketplace is not the primary purpose for this site and is a perk to those who stick around for a while and contribute to the forums via quality discussion (posts).

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
I also don't understand something about what you said which contradictory.

So what you're saying is that you don't want to sell, you want to give it away, but you don't want to give it away to anyone looking for free stuff.
This is harder to explain than I really thought it should be. I've tried giving quite a few things away on both Craigslist and our local freecycle page in the past. Within mintes there is a deluge of takers, virtually all begging for the stuff while at the same time making it perfectly clear that they have absolutely no idea what the items being offered actually are. I posted these Macintosh parts on the collectors page thinking that would be the best place to find users interested in older hardware. Some time ago I'd offered to give a mac 512k logic board to a user there but it turned out he was in the Philippines and shipping was a deal killer. I had no idea that there actually was a marketplace page. Is it so hard to believe that I might want to give this stuff to someone who could use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.