Why no Titanium Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone3gs, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

So why dont applt make Titanium Macbook pro?

Titanium is stronger then steel and lower dense then aluminium (lighter then aluminium).

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Cost also factors into material choices you know.

3. AlexColeman macrumors newbie

Because I believe that would be absurdly expensive for just the case.:rolleyes:

Why would you need something stronger than aluminum, anything that will damage the case will damage the insides just as much.

4. cababah macrumors 68000

It has been a while since I took thermodynamics, but I am guessing here off the top of my head that Titanium might have a lower heat transfer coefficient than Aluminum which means it might not be able to dissipate heat as well.

Correction: I was referring to thermal conductivity, not heat transfer coefficient.

5. hellrider macrumors regular

aluminum is bendable. one slight drop and you've got a deformed case :mad:

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'd say because of cost. It's easier to build an aluminum case than a titanium case. Also, aluminum dissipates heat better than aluminum. Titanium might be a "stronger" material where it's more flexible and won't bend so in some cases it's not prone to the same cosmetic defects as the unibody MacBook Pro's. Ultimately, aluminum is more bang/buck or cost/quality than titanium.

7. kolax macrumors G3

There was the Titanium PowerBook - Jobs said it was better than aluminium. Now, they use an aircraft grade aluminium alloy which is really strong whilst being light.

8. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

titanium

Apart from cost. What other reasons did Apple change from Titanium material in the G4 to Aluminium unibody.

Do you think apple in the future may adopt another material apart from aluminium for the macbook pro?

9. cube macrumors G5

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

With their new unibody construction methods, I don't think you could do the same thing with Titanium. They'd have to go back to 'old' style case construction to use Titanium.

You don't really gain a large weight savings, you don't really look very different, and you impede wireless while costing more. The advantage is it is stronger. From Apple's standpoint it doesn't seem like it gains them anything.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Dunno about the unibody, but the classic has a rubber portion of the hinge that is where the airport antanae is located to increase range. It is not as though the airport is completely trying to go through the aluminum casing.

12. cube macrumors G5

I think the right question is: "Why not carbon fibre?"

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Pricey, ugly, bad on environment.

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The TiBook was nice looking (when it wasn't busy flaking off its paint), but it did have its issues. For one thing, Titanium had a nasty habit of cracking when dropped hard, as opposed to bending. Not overly pleasant. Also, the wireless range on the TiBooks is horrid. It was a blessing when the AlBooks came out; they're quite nice, the design carried well into the MacBook Pros, and the newest unibodies are even slightly nicer. Personally, I still prefer the older Aluminum look, but I'm a little nuts anyway :)

Also, lets get one thing straight here that most people seem to get constantly wrong. It's time for a good old fashioned Timeline of Apple Products™! This episode, metal-clad laptops!

1. Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001-2003) - Made from Titanium, they're a very distinctive design. Black keyboard, metal body with white accents, AirPort antennas in the main body of the machine.
    2. Aluminum PowerBook G4 (2003-2006) - Made from Aluminum, this is one of Apple's most well-recognized designs. Everything silver, with small cutouts in the top sides of the screen for the AirPort antennas.
    3. Aluminum MacBook Pro (2006-2008) - Extremely similar to the Aluminum PowerBooks, they differed in subtle ways; easiest bits are the iSight camera above the LCD and the absence of the antenna cutouts on the sides of the screen. They're in the hinge bit, called the clutch cover, under a rubberized cutout.
    4. Unibody MacBooks and MacBook Pros (2008-¿) - Apple's latest design, these harken back to the TiBooks with their silver aluminum bodies black keyboards, but have a much more rounded, smooth design, and more prominent black accents, such as the screen bezel.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Its because titanium is much more expensive today than in the past. It is more scarce basically.

Aluminum is MUCH cheaper to produce and manufacture.

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Did you look in to the availability of the material too?
    Cause I think you've missed that bit out. Thus... COST!

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The same reason we don't usually make engine blocks out of tungsten or electrical wiring made out of gold.

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

do you have something against aluminum? i think it works very well. like people have said look at it from apple's POV. if you had a company and the material you were using went up in price and you found something that works just as well but is cheaper wouldnt you use it.

also, i dont think apple is going to switch back to titanium just cause it will protect your computer better in case you drop it. you shouldnt really be dropping your computer anyway and regarless of what it is made of its never a good idea.

19. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

lulwut?

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

ROFL!!! :rolleyes:
    I'm guessing where your from, there's more than one type of aluminium? :D

21. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

I'm sure you could have one custom made somewhere:confused:

22. drossad macrumors regular

Aluminum is great. Why go to a more expensive metal when Mac's are already expensive enough as it is.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Availability is another strong factor I suspect.
    Aluminum being #13 on the Periodic Table, as opposed to Titanium being #22.

Aluminum is the most abundant metal on Earth, therefore it's cheapest to aquire.

24. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

ummm wireless wise your airport card is in that plastic hinge connecting the screen to the body. i know this because when u got my laptops screen replaced for it being bowed. they forgot to transfer my airport card....