Why no Touch ID for native apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by furam90, Sep 17, 2014.

1. furam90 macrumors regular

A bunch of new apps are using Touch ID for privacy and protection, so why doesn't Apple implement touch ID for native apps? For example, it would be cool if I could enable Touch ID protection for my photos and other apps with sensitive information. Not even native apps, it could just be any of them. Can't count the number of times I've let a friend borrow my phone to watch a video or make a call, but get a little unnerved that they'll wander into an app they shouldn't be in. Just seems like it would be really easy to implement, yet it hasn't been done.

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I feel what you are really asking for is the often requested "guest mode".

3. furam90 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that would actually be amazing. For example, at a party when you want to connect your iPhone and disable the password-- it would be great if you could just limit access to the music app etc without people having access to your entire phone.

One day I suppose...

4. HunterGather macrumors member

If not a guest mode, then yes, password/thumbprint protecting certain apps would be great from nosey people.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

You can do that already with Guided Access (since iOS 6).

Of course, they can restart the phone to get out of it. But if you have a passcode enabled then they'd have to get you anyways.