Why no virtual home button on X like on s8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Sep 15, 2017.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I noticed on my friends s8 today there is a home button on screen. Why would Apple not do this since it's just software based?

2. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

It would take too much space and kill the purpose of the new design.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

They probably figured that there was no point in eliminating the bezel if an equivalent portion of the screen is perpetually used for the virtual home button. Especially since they couldn't get TouchID to work through the screen anyway, so it would still lack one of the most significant features of a physical home button.

4. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Looking at the hands-on videos, it seems they've done a pretty good job of making a Home Button-free iPhone intuitive & ergonomic. Won't take long to get used to it imo.

Accessing the Control Centre from a distance is more a concern to me, but that's only with one handed use.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Is it a fact (per Apple) that they were trying to design and implement TouchID under the glass?

6. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think they'll ever admit it. I would imagine they would have loved to introduce this X with both touch ID and face ID

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

No, I don't think that Apple has stated that, but why would they? I think that the same sources who reported everything else that turned out to be true about this year's iPhones have said so, and it seems like a reasonable thing to at least attempt to implement.

8. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Well, technically, Samsung allows you to hide the navbar if you want...

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple was allegedly to be experimenting with integrating the OLED display and fingerprint sensor, which they reportedly couldn't successfully fuse the OLED display with the Fingeprint sensor, therefore changing their trajectory to Face ID.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That may be. We may never know. A lot of people have been touting earlier rumors on here (about TouchID being under the glass) as fact when it isn't. And that throws the Apple fail argument right out the window.

As to the home button, I don't see a need for it with the gestures. Once I get the phone I may change my mind. At this point, I think so many are used to the home button and the idea thereof, it is treated as a security blanket (so to speak) and a lot of people don't like change.

It going to take some time before we get a a good picture of whether or not the new design is practical and readily used by new owners.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    I know the rumor, RP. It has been repeated on here by MR and others so much, it has been (wrongly) embraced as inherent fact by many forum members. And several use this supposed rumor as some kind of failed gotcha against Apple.

I would like see fact. Apple may never reveal if that rumor was their intent or not.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    Logical fallacy has never has been a reasonable thing.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple is not going to admit their failure with a project that was superseded by its successor with Face ID. Regardless of what others interpretation is regarding the unsuccessful attempts with integration with the OLED display, it's partially irrelevant if Face ID is the future as they are touting currently. Either way, If Face ID is Apple's vision for the future, then I don't believe Touch ID will be existent in future iPhone models.

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If that is the case, I hope FaceID works just as well, as I really enjoy the ease and implementation of TouchID on the phone, not to mention my MBP. If I don't like the FaceID, I will return it and keep my iPhone 7 plus.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I also look forward to testing Face ID and it's true potential. I know Apple is Proud of there latest achievement and I think a large part of the success with The iPhone X will be in part due to Face ID.

14. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

I used to have to jailbreak tweak that used swipe gestures. If I remember correctly you would swipe on the right side to go home. Swipe on the left for multitasking. And control center was in the middle. I enjoyed the swipe gestures.

Don't know why apple implemented it their way. Accessing CC from the top seems like poor design to me.

15. Ralfi, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I think Face ID was always going to be their main focus, having put so much research into it - testing millions (or was it billions?) of faces etc. + allocating space in that small sensor area (which we knew about since last year) for all the face scanners.

I guess they ommited/deleted the side-swipe gestures because there are too many Apps that utilise that gesture for their own functions.

Re: top down swipe gestures, they'll be awkward yes, but I notice Notifications is from the middle. So we have Control Centre from right Notch, Notifications from middle, which means they could've added a third swipe down for the left Notch. Control Centre may've been easier to reach there, for lefties anyway? Hopefully we can customise this, though I don't think so.

16. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was asking my wife last night "do you think all this technology they show in pictures such as dot protector thousands of dots etc are really in the phone and happen or is it just marketing?"
    Realty is it does work and works well. What do you all think