Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtc872

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I love my iPhone and it works exactly like my iPod classic before it; or I should say even better.

However that is exactly it. My iPod classic didn't have wifi or bluetooth capability and I didn't use a wall charger mostly because I needed to plug it into my computer to sync it anyway so why have two steps.

The iPhone on the other hand has these capabilities and I find less of a need to go straight to my computer when I get home now because I have already been updated on my email so I plug it in to the wall charger. I am then forced to go to the computer to update my podcasts. Unless I go through iTunes on the iPhone which is just more hassle than connecting to my computer.

So, after all that, can anyone tell me why the iPhone does not have wireless syncing capabilities?

Curiosity will kill this cat one day.

Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm guessing for the same reasons it originally didn't have any App Store, didn't have Copy&Paste, no MMS, no video camera... :D

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
In terms of what's involved with a sync (e.g. backing up and copying over new data) wireless syncing is just too slow compared to USB, or at least that's what I would say.

rtc872

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I can understand that somewhat but doesn't the new Zune HD offer wireless syncing?

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
could also be a stability thing , but i think it has to be a speed issue/needing direct access to the phone

could you imagine how slow backup and syncing would be over wireless ( its already painfully slow)

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
Why not have it work like this?

Wirelessly sync music, videos, ringtones etc and then when you plug it in to the computer every so often it does a back up, yes that leaves risks, but who backs their computer up every time they turn it on or want some new stuff.

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
it's worth noting that

of course it does already wirelessly sync--just not the media data. The MobileMe syncing is really super, and doesn't it do the same thing if you have an exchange account?

Yes, that's not media. But wirelessly syncing media is really only a nice trick, and maybe too slow to be much more than a trick. Wirelessly syncing PIM data is very very convenient.

businessgo

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
of course it does already wirelessly sync--just not the media data. The MobileMe syncing is really super, and doesn't it do the same thing if you have an exchange account?

Yes, that's not media. But wirelessly syncing media is really only a nice trick, and maybe too slow to be much more than a trick. Wirelessly syncing PIM data is very very convenient.

Absolutely, speed is probably the core reason.

rtc872

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I am with you wowipod (I must say your name makes me think of batman for some reason; "holy ipods, Batman!").

I don't need a back up of my emails because they already go somewhere else, I don't need a back up of my apps because I don't get much new and it doesn't back up the contents of apps anyway.

The only thing that changes is podcasts and most of those are audio and unter 30mb each. Yeah so it might take 5 mins to do but I am sitting there watching telly. When I do look at my iPhone, however, it has a couple more podcasts done for me.

Just a thought that is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.