Why nobody can touch the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by staeit, Sep 16, 2011.

1. staeit macrumors member

As we all know, the iPhone is one of the single most popular handsets available on the market, even over a year after its initial release. In fact, it seems to be defying the laws of basic economics with its supply/demand curve. The number of iPhone's sold seems to be an ever-increasing quantity with each passing quarterly figure announcement, and the price is the same as at launch. And this is very unlikely to change.

Apple effectively has no real competition, either in the tablet or smartphone markets. Let's talk smartphones first.

The iPhone is an incredible combination of hardware and software. You can do pretty much anything on the iPhone that you could on a full desktop or laptop computer. There are obviously some limitations but the usability is endless. Other smartphones are very feature-rich as well, and with the Android market, blackberry app world, and other app platforms there is a fair bit of usability in this respect for other handsets as well. But Apple seems to REALLY hit the hammer on the head when it comes to required features.

I have personally used several of the latest smartphone offerings from other vendors like RIM's Bold 9900, Samsung's Galaxy SII, HTC's Sensation, and while many of these have some very cool aspects to them, they always seem to have tradeoffs. The Galaxy S II is rampant with battery issues - I know 3 people with this phone, and all of them have the dreaded WiFi Sharing issue (google it). Another friend of mine let me borrow her Bold 9900 and it froze at least once a day; the old blackberry's had fantastic battery life, but it seems that now RIM has designed a phone with a touch screen, high res display with a fast processor, the battery life is abysmal. The HTC Sensation's screen is washed out. As far as touchscreen smartphones, I can't think of a single phone that has battery life that competes with iPhone. What's the point of having a blazing 1.2 or 1.5 GHz dual core processor if it only lasts for half a day under normal use?

In the tablet world, the iPad is currently the only real tablet I'd ever consider getting. The others from HP (RIP), RIM, Samsung, Sony, and Motorola are clearly copycats, and people know this! They appear as knockoffs of the real thing, and yet most of the vendors release them with bugs (or no email client) at the same price or just barely under (or in some cases - more!). Apple comes back in a keynote and compares the number of apps for its competitors' tablet platforms to its own and it is almost painful to watch!

It seems like the most basic things are missed by every other smartphone or tablet manufacturer. Just my $0.02. It would be nice to see some actual competition from other platforms/vendors in these spaces.

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It's iPhone time…

Can't touch this, dum, dum, dum, dum dadum dum dum…can't touch this

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you will look at the latest numbers, Android IS moving up quite quickly. Considering the short time it has been on the market, they are doing VERY well.:eek:

Galaxy S2 users (like me) know what the most advanced phone on the market is and it is not an Apple device. Unless you look at one and try it, you will never know. It is likely best you do not try the SG2.:p

4. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

The number of Android users are only increasing because of cheaper and low end phones running the OS. Tell me, have you seen someone use an Android phone for a little over 2 years? I know I haven't. Have you seen someone still use the iPhone 3G?..Exactly. The iPhone is just a superb device, aesthetically and technologically.

5. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I see iPhone users USE their phones. I see Android users TWEAK their weather widgets and UI.

6. staeit, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

staeit thread starter macrumors member

I have personally tested (for several days) all the phones I talked about in the first post. I know that the Samsung Galaxy SII has significantly better specs in many regards - better processor and graphics chip by a mile. The screen is beautiful, it's arguably the best Android device on the market. But in spite of that, the iPhone's screen is better (I have done a direct comparison, but that is of course subjective). The resolution and viewing angle on the iPhone can't be (haven't been) beat. The black levels are obviously better on the SGS2 but the contrast ratio on the iPhone is quite excellent. But again, as I stated in the first post, compare the battery life on these two phones. iPhone destroys - also I have never noticed any lag on my iPhone while I have seen it on multiple recent phones (Atrix, Sensation, Bold 9900) on other platforms. Why can't these competitors get it right, even over a year later than the release of the iPhone 4?

Also as far as numbers, are you really comparing a single model (iPhone - maybe 2 if you count iPhone 3GS) of a handset to like 50 or more (Android)?

7. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Battery life in my smartphone is my #1 concern, hence I went with the iPhone.

Samsung Galaxy Note looks like an absolute MONSTER in this regard though (2500mAh battery! :eek:) so I might end up going with this if it ever comes to the states but if the iPhone 5 has a 4 inch screen then I would have no reason to...

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I can touch my iPhone! :eek:

I work in a Glentel retail store that sells Rogers, Virgin, and Bell products and services. I sell a lot more high-end Android based devices now than I do the iPhone. Android is gaining in popularity! I will always stick with my iPhone though. :)

9. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Also people are still using the original iPhone like me :p I also see loads of people buy android phones that are the low end and only know one person with the SG2. At the end of the day though it's what people like to use.

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As nice as Android devices have become, they really don't compare to iPhone. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but iPhone is just so tight in almost every aspect. Ive tried many android phones and my wife has the Dinc2 and although they have some nice features, none of them are really perfect IMO. Even the nicest Android touch screens aren't as responsive as iPhone. Switching between apps or whatever always causes some type of lag or twitch even on the nicest of phones. It's a bunch of little things u might not even notice if iPhone didn't exist, but it does. Ill admit that android phones have come a long way over the past year and are only getting better. But the iPhone is still the overall nicest, best performing device on the market...15 months later. Makes the upcoming next gen iPhone a device to REALLY be excited about. Or scared to death of if ur google. Oh and "Ice Cream sandwich"...just corny.

11. Ayman250 macrumors member

Ayman250

Were you bored? This is sort of a useless thread.

12. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

You must not go out that often then, since I know TONS of people that own android phones. A couple of them even got fed up with ios, and moved to high end android phones.

Android is about choice, and the iphone isn't. Let's be frank here, when you buy an iPhone you're getting an interface that is distinctly made of (and only of) apple's design choices. Android is totally customizable, and can be adapted to suit you, although out of the box you're getting a clean slate most of the time. I know a lot of people that chose android because they don't want anyone telling them what they can and cant do on their phone, and how their interface should look. I really can't say that I know anyone that bought an android phone because there's low end and dirt-cheap options.

Android sells because you can do whatever you want. iPhone sells because you're getting a well thought out interface, design, and excellent customer service and reliability. That's not to say that there's not android phones with all of the same qualities.

13. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

compared to other threads I have seen today, this did not seem super fanboyism! cheers! :)

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's just a codename and for fun. Nothing serious.

15. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Quoted for Truth

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I have a couple of things to say about this:

The reason the iPhone is so fluid and a great experience to use is because Apple makes both the hardware and software. This is something Android can never have (unless Google decides to actually use the benefits of their Motorola purchase). Palm/HP could've had this if they put more effort into their hardware. They just crapped out on that and hoped a great OS would sell their phones. Obviously they were wrong. As for RIM, they also make great software, but as of recent their hardware has been lacking which again is ruining the user experience and causing less BB sales. They were hoping their former glory would give them sales, but it obviously didn't.

Because Apple is so strict with their hardware/software requirements, it creates a better user experience. This is why I'm glad Microsoft is starting to take this approach with Windows Phone. By having some control/restrictions about the hardware, it is easier for them to optimise the OS accordingly. Windows Phone is currently the only other OS I've seen/used that provides a fluidity and great user experience like Apple does. This is why I am hoping Windows Phone catches on. By finally having a real rival in the smartphone market, Apple will have to pick up its pace, thus causing Microsoft (and hopefully the other companies) to also pick up the innovation pace.

Although I will be switching to an iPhone, I will still pick up a Windows Phone device to show my support to Microsoft in the hopes that they can succeed and make Apple realise they aren't gonna continue to be king of the hill by following their current pace.

(and yes, this all can apply to the tablet market too with the intro of Windows 8)

17. disarticulate macrumors regular

iOS is so simple compared to android. I think that's the main factor. Most of people on this forum (or any forum for that matter) are leaps and bounds ahead of the average consumer when it comes to technology.

My girlfriend had an Evo for over a year and still didn't know how to use it other than phone/internet/text. Once I showed her how easy my iPhone is to use, she immediately switched and took back all the negative things she said about iPhones... including the fact that I couldn't use video wallpaper. I don't use video wallpaper for the same reason that I don't have 24" spinning rims on my car. It's a phone people, it's not jewelry.

18. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I agree on the part with Windows Phone 7 being an attractive option since microsoft controls the minimum specs in order to make sure everyone has a chance at updates. Really hope Mango gains some steam for the platform so that we have a 3rd option. Just wish WinPhone7 had bluetooth keyboard support :(

The only 3 smartphone options that I really see long term is:
    - iPhone (experience controlled by apple)
    - Nexus phone (experience controlled by google)
    - Windows phone (experience controlled by microsoft)

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I have been using Mango on my HD2 for a few weeks now and I believe Microsoft is going in the right direction with Windows Phone. In addition to the three smartphones you listed, I would love for RIM to make a comeback with QNX (since they also make their hardware, they should be able to make it great if they actually try). And I also want WebOS to be bought by HTC so they can have the same level of control Apple does. Having these five companies succeeding would be the most ideal situation for us as consumers. Whether or not this pans out, only time will tell.

20. staeit thread starter macrumors member

Battery life is huge! Apple seems to be the best at optimizing idle use as well as overall battery life. It only has what, a 1420 mAh battery, and bests even the Atrix with its ~1900 mAh.
    Thanks. Thought it'd spark up some interesting discussion. Your opinion is duly noted, don't let the door hit you on the way out of this thread.
    Android is about choice, and yet some vendors lock down their bootloaders so you can't install custom rom's? Is it really about choice? Really?

Agreed, controlling both aspects is key.

21. ataboc macrumors 6502

are you an investor?

if not, use what you like.

22. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

All Apple did was revive the Newton. lol Its what they did way back but now technology has changed. You have more people creating Apps than before. I remember when Palm Pilot came out, you have probably atleast 10-15 Apps.

What sets then and now apart is that you can use it on both platforms. You are more mobile.

Before iPhone it was Motorola Razr. So whatever that tops the iPhone will change how we go mobile.

23. scott craft macrumors 6502a

Iphone and Windows phone 7 are both very smooth. When it was time to upgrade from my droid I decided to try WP7. I figured if I didn't like it I would return it and wait for the next iphone. Well I'm pretty sold on this phone now. It's not perfect but I'm really enjoying it. I'm anxiously awaiting mango to make a good phone better.

24. thesweeps macrumors member

what impresses me the most about the iphone, I recently jumped from android after years, is the speed and how fluent the OS is, even an android phone with a 1.2ghz processor just doesnt seem like the android OS is as polished and fluent to use.

and people say Android is catching up on the apps but its not even close in my opinion and I came from android, dont get me wrong android makes great phones and has tons of potential but its not there and who knows if it ever will be what IOS is, even if it takes Apple a little bit longer to add a feature, its always cleaner, faster and just works a little better..my two cents

PS: maybe its cause I recently just got an iPhone so i havnt had time to find problems and am in love with it at the moment lol

25. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I agree. I played with every top android phone verizon had and I wasn't impressed with any of them. They were better than my droid, but none of them were quite as smooth as an iphone. Android has tons of apps, but it seems that every app that is available on both platforms is nicer on the iphone.