All iPads Why not a simultaneous release?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRobertM, Nov 5, 2013.

1. iRobertM macrumors regular

It really seems that Apple is continuing to favor the larger iPad with this release schedule. I understand there maybe some manufacturing issues but why not wait until everything is sorted out for both then release? Seems like they know the mini will sell very well and they want to milk sales from those who want a new device now rather then wait.

Yeah Yeah, I am just being impatient. :)

2. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

The stories lead it to seem the display shortage is a likely culprit. It seems to be Apple's MO that if they could have released them concurrently they would have. I'm glad the delay was on the mini because it made my choice to go Air so much easier. God forbid I wait a few weeks. :p

4. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I think it was good marketing. They knew so many people would want the mini and this way they got the Air out there. If they had a simultaneous release, I have a feeling it would have been hugely lop sided towards the mini. I'm ver happy with my Air and since I use a tablet more than a PC makes morse sense. However, if I had seen both, I easily could have gone mini.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

So you're saying they made a bunch of ipad airs first, so that they could sell them to people who would actually prefer a mini if given a choice? As if the only people buying airs are people who must have an ipad, any ipad, on the very day it launches, even if it's not the one they really want?

I do realize that describes some people here, but not the general public.

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I think another reason to not release them at the same time would be because of all the various configurations they come in. While Apple might handle this well, their resellers might not appreciate or be able to handle all that stock at once along with having to deal with customers etc... Mainly I think it was just best all around to release them separately. Less confusion.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

On a somewhat related note, anyone know what countries where the retina Mini will be released at launch? Will it be all the same countries as the Air?

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Maybe, I guess I'm saying that they knew the Air sales would suffer if they sold the mini at the same time.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

They likely did it so they could avoid too much chaos with the stores and to maximum press coverage.