Why not buy a Quadro 4500FX...?

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
326
0
Phoenix, AZ
Ok... other than the obvious.. the $1100 premium over the X1900XT..


Is there an operational/performacne reason not to buy the MacPro with the "top end" card? I'm hating to wait the extra 4 weeks for the X1900XT, but if it's in fact the best card, I'll wait.. if OTOH I can get more frame rates, and better video out of the 4500FX.. then I'll pony up, and save a month of waiting!

I don't use CAD or Maya.. mostly FCP HD / Aperture / iaps / 3d games / Photoshop, etc..

thanks..
 

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
3,342
2
Washington, DC
If you don't use Maya, you don't need this card. For Final Cut Studio, games, Adobe Apps, etc., the x1900 is going to give you the same, if not better, performance, for $1000 less. The price->performance ration makes teh x1900 a MUCH better buy even if it was 20% slower. And what I would do is order your Mac Pro with the 7300, and order the x1900 separately...that way you get your tower right away without having to wait bloody forever, it might be worth the extra $150. You can always sell the 7300 to someone who wants a seconds card or use it yourself with a DVI to Svideo adapter for external TV support or more monitors.
 

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
326
0
Phoenix, AZ
MovieCutter said:
If you don't use Maya, you don't need this card. For Final Cut Studio, games, Adobe Apps, etc., the x1900 is going to give you the same, if not better, performance, for $1000 less. The price->performance ration makes teh x1900 a MUCH better buy even if it was 20% slower.
thanks.. I'm convinced.. plus, now there is rumor (in another thread here) that maybe the delay for the 1900 is due to the "fact" that Apple may be subing out the 1900 for 1950's.. they're due to launch that product on the 15th of Sept.. hmm... Wishful thinking? :D
 

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
3,342
2
Washington, DC
UnixMac said:
thanks.. I'm convinced.. plus, now there is rumor (in another thread here) that maybe the delay for the 1900 is due to the "fact" that Apple may be subing out the 1900 for 1950's.. they're due to launch that product on the 15th of Sept.. hmm... Wishful thinking? :D

Oooh, hell yeah...that would be really awesome. BUt even more reason to buy the x1900 separately.
 

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
326
0
Phoenix, AZ
MovieCutter said:
Oooh, hell yeah...that would be really awesome. BUt even more reason to buy the x1900 separately.
is it sold that way now? I didn't see it being sold alone.

I wouldn't mind buying a 7300 card for now, and a 1950 later.... but then what if Apple jacks up the price to $600+ if not purchased now?
 

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
825
0
Scotland
UnixMac said:
is it sold that way now? I didn't see it being sold alone.

I wouldn't mind buying a 7300 card for now, and a 1950 later.... but then what if Apple jacks up the price to $600+ if not purchased now?
The Apple store has the 1900 and the 7300 for sale as seperate cards - though their is a 5 week wait for the 1900 when I last looked...
 

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
2,537
0
England
UnixMac said:
thanks.. I'm convinced.. plus, now there is rumor (in another thread here) that maybe the delay for the 1900 is due to the "fact" that Apple may be subing out the 1900 for 1950's.. they're due to launch that product on the 15th of Sept.. hmm... Wishful thinking? :D
Not a rumor, more wishful thinking. If Apple really had that attitude then they would of upgraded everyone's 7800 GT to a 7800 GTX on the PowerMac G5.
 

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
326
0
Phoenix, AZ
MacsAttack said:
The Apple store has the 1900 and the 7300 for sale as seperate cards - though their is a 5 week wait for the 1900 when I last looked...
I called to see how much time it would shave off if I ordred the 7300 card, and back ordred the 1900, and it's not worth it... a 1 week time savings, and I pay an extra $100..

Plus there is always that 1950 wishful thinking! :D
 

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
825
0
Scotland
I toyed with getting an FX4500 - but in the end I just went for a stock 7300 and splurged on CPU and memory. Don't play games much - but I am going to need all the omph I can get from the CPUs and memory for rendering in Lightwave when it goes UB.

Figure I can give the thing a mid-life perk-up with an new video card about a year or so down the line.