Why not just add a line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grego33, Jul 2, 2008.

1. grego33 Guest

I've missed any mention of simply adding a line to your current plan for the new iPhone and swapping SIM cards or numbers w/ your existing phone.

Assuming that you are upgrade-ineligible and have 16 months or less on your contract, that should come out cheaper than paying the extra $200 early upgrade price of 399/499. The way I see it, it should cost a $36 activation fee + ~$10/month for the extra line. (10*16 + 36 = 196). The less time remaining on the existing contract, the larger the difference.

Will they not let you reassign phone numbers to different phones on your account? Will switching SIM cards after the fact have the same effect, or is there some tie between a particular iPhone and a particular SIM card?

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Adding a line is really more like $12.50 plus or minus per month by the time taxes, etc. are added on.

3. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

cause once you get the other line and one of them is a 3g iphone then you HAVE to get the iphone familytalk plan and the first plan starts at 129.99 with only 700 minutes...plus if you want text messaging on your family talk plan you have 2 options 30.00 on top of 129.99 a month or 0.20 per text so 129.99 plus 30 extra for texting is 160.00 plus tax......your damn near at 200.00 ...that's why

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

That's not true. You can simply add the $30 data plan to any family plan. It's a common misconception that you must by a special "iPhone Family Plan". Still, the cheapest family plan is $60 + the $30 data plan. The original poster had a good thought but it just really doesn't pan out once you do the math.

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i am not sure if i am right or wrong, but to my understanding, if you have a family plan and add a iphone, it will only be $30 more for data. you dont need to get a special iphone family plan. the iphone family talk plans are used to illustrate two iphones in one family plan. $70 for 2 lines, plus $30 + 30 for each data plan is 130.

6. grego33 thread starter Guest

I left taxes out since I was comparing everything non-taxed. But it's a good point that the taxes on the extra line will add up whereas the one time taxes on the initial purchase won't.

But really, it just changes the number of months to more like 13 if we assume a 12.50/month rate on the extra line. Still might be worth it for some. I think it would work out as a wash for me.

As far as the plans go, they're actually not all that bad. We currently have the cheapest voice plan @ $60/month with 1 extra line, total $69.99. We both plan on upgrading to iPhones, so add another $60 ... mysteriously that adds up to $129.99 :) ... and we'll get more minutes.

I'm not sure the texting option on the family plans is well understood. We've always been able to add a $5 texting plan as an option on only one line, so I don't see why that would change. I read that graphic to mean $30 if you want unlimited texting for any of the numbers, or $5/$10 if you want x texts associated with a specific line rather than the rates only being applicable when you have an individual or family plan.

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You were right on the tax thing. Even if it adds up, the same percent is taken every time. So in the end it'll have the same effect on total cost.

Example:
    10/Month for 16 months vs 160 one time. Both with (for example) 10% tax

Actual each month 11. After 16 months 176

Total 10/month for 16 months: 160. Then add the tax 176

160 one time payment plus 10% tax is 176 as well.

No matter how you cut it it'll come out right. If tax is constant you don't have to worry about if something is recurring or not if you're just doing a comparison.

::End of Lesson One, please flip the tape to the other side for Lesson Two.::