Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
I'd go literally insane trying to do all of my work on a 13" display. 27" is minimum.

That and I still need W10 in VM or dual boot form for some work I do.

M1 machine makes a good side machine, but I couldn't live off it.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Well I would have purchased an Air or Pro but I have way too many (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019).
I do wish the iMac was available in the M1 as my 2013 is getting slower...
But since my 2012 Mini is so old and maxes out at Catalina, I am getting my M1 Mini tomorrow.

FEDEX delivering my M1 Mini tomorrow:
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 10.09.17 AM.png

Reactions: jazz1

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I'd go literally insane trying to do all of my work on a 13" display. 27" is minimum.

That and I still need W10 in VM or dual boot form for some work I do.

M1 machine makes a good side machine, but I couldn't live off it.
Yup, I'd go crazy as well - my eyes are not that young anymore so I don't even like using the 15" MBP - I much rather use my 27" Apple TB display, 27" iMac, or 32" Alienware IPS monitor...

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
Yup, I'd go crazy as well - my eyes are not that young anymore so I don't even like using the 15" MBP - I much rather use my 27" Apple TB display, 27" iMac, or 32" Alienware IPS monitor...

If I'm going external monitor, might as well cut out the middleman and have my external monitor be it's own full fledged machine that can also do things.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I am very tempted to try to go “Laptop only” using a dock when I’m at my desk, but to do that it really needs to be the 16”. The 13” just isn’t what I want when I’m not at my desk. That and I want my primary system to be 32GB. Mostly because 24GB isn’t likely to be offered.

I did order an M1 Mini, so I could do some ARM work, with the plan being turning it into a closet server down the road once the 16” is available. Getting a 13” MBP is just more money, and more wasteful of resources.

Renshy

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Is this a genuine question?

What's the difference? What if you actually wanted a desktop and not a laptop? :confused:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Do you never work while moving?

(train, bus, car, hovercraft, ship, plane being the more common options for me.)
No. I have no need to work on a laptop. I work at work and nowhere else. I don't take trains or buses or planes or so on. I drive to work, I work, I go home.
I get paid when I arrive at work and I stop getting paid when I leave work. So i'm certainly not working when i'm not getting paid. My own time is my own time.

Last edited:

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
whats the difference other than price?

Mac Mini: supports 2 external displays (both MacBooks can only support 1 external display), has more ports
MacBook Air: lighter, fanless, can throttle and drop performance below the other 2
MacBook Pro: active cooling, performance matches Mac Mini, has better battery life, better speakers, better mic, brighter display, touch bar

That's basically it. The M1 lineup is more differentiated than you may think, but Apple and reviewers haven't really done a good job of breaking down what the differences are.

Reactions: justinf77

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020

(train, bus, car, hovercraft, ship, plane being the more common options for me.)
I know this was not direktes at me but I can answer from my perspective.

Non of the more ”heavy work” I do would be very effective in any of the settings listed. For all the work that is feasable to do on the move i can do (and do) on an iPad (a standard 2017 model without a external keyboard). The iPad is easier and even less cumbersome to bring along than an laptop.

Also I audit buildings (I work with increasing energyefficiency in buildings) and an iPad beats any laptop for this. For one I can easily use it standing up as a digital notepad with the ability to both take photos and do markup directly into my notes. This along (in an LTE enabled iPad) the ability to quickly access drawings or other types of documentation in the companys server on site without actually having to prepare everything and bring it with me before going out.

So for me the workhorse is a stationary computer and a standard iPad is for mobile needs.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016

Nope. Even when I used to travel to suppliers etc, travel time is my time. I do have a work laptop so I can move it between offices and home but it isn’t used in transit

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not my need but with a couple minutes research and a little imagination it's super easy to think of reasons why someone might prefer a mini vs MBP or MBA...

#1 - apparently larger fan will provide a higher sustained thermal threshold than a laptop

#2 - Ports! Even after hooking up power & single external monitor & ethernet the mini still has both Thunderbolt/USB4 ports open. Plus it has an additional pair of USBA (up to 5GBs) ports.

#3 - Price is $600 less. $699 vs $1299 (MBP) for 8/256 config - $1299 vs $1899 for 16/1T

#3a - $170 savings on AppleCare+ -- Mini is $99 - MBP13 is $269 (AC+)

#4 - zero concerns about battery impact of leaving it plugged in 24/7/365 - sure that's supposed to be a thing of the past but we shall see.

If someone never intends to use the computer away from their desk, why not get more potential sustained throughput, more available ports, all while saving $600 to $770?

(All pricing from Apple.com/shop US site)

Last edited:
Reactions: ItWasNotMe

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
Thanks for the responses but I guess I was thinking about having the flexibility of using both desktop and laptop abilities. I have several work spaces at home, outdoor and indoor, standing desks and siting desks, high rise view of city. I guess I was thinking of an upcoming MacBook Pro 16 to grab away from a monitor and work outside with stuff good screen since the performance is just as good as at a desk. Also using with apples accessories for desktop feel.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I would like a laptop, but:

For the same price as an identically specced Air I can get a Mini with a 27” 4K monitor and all of the peripherals. If I already have those I save a bunch of money.

Also, for a family computer setup I prefer something that stays in one place. I could imagine a laptop getting broken.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thanks for the responses but I guess I was thinking about having the flexibility of using both desktop and laptop abilities. I have several work spaces at home, outdoor and indoor, standing desks and siting desks, high rise view of city. I guess I was thinking of an upcoming MacBook Pro 16 to grab away from a monitor and work outside with stuff good screen since the performance is just as good as at a desk. Also using with apples accessories for desktop feel.

It's pretty simple...

Either you need/want to work elsewhere than at your desk or you don't.

That decision drives the choice of laptop or mini.

Reactions: Jimmy James
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.