Why not "Line" instead of "Network"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Conversion, May 8, 2009.

1. Conversion macrumors member

Conversion

How can it be that the topbar shows the network the iPhone is on and not the actual carrier, listed under "Line"?

[​IMG]

In my case here, "BiBoB" is my carrier, while "Sonofon" is the network they're using. There is a carrier called "Sonofon" also, but that's not my carrier, it's only their network my carrier is using.

Is it possible to change this? Possibly via jailbreaking? I know about MIM, but it would be nice if it would show the "Line" automatically.

Thank you.

2. Tosser macrumors 68030

Because Bibob is a socalled Service Provider (yes, they're called that in danish). It means that they buy minutes from the ones owning the masts - in this case Sonofon, but it could have been TDC as well. Bibob themselves don't have a single mast anywhere, so they have to buy the minutes from someone who does.
    Telia in Denmark has a somewhat special deal with Sonofon, where Telia themselves cover parts of the country, and the Telia customers roams with Sonofon in places where Telia doesn't cover.

If one has Telmore, usually it says "telmore", but it runs on TDC's network (it also did this on most phones before Telmore was purchased byTDC (TeleDanmark at the time, I believe).

In my Sammy i780 I can change which to show: The real carrier or the service provider. I have no idea if that's possible on the iPhone. Were I a betting man, I'd put my money down on "no".

3. Conversion thread starter macrumors member

Conversion

Yeah, I know about the Service Provider deal. But, still. BiBoB is the real carrier, and therefore I think it should be their name in the top bar, and not the company who owns the masts they're using.

I think it's a little odd not to do that, or at least give the user the possibility to.

And yes, I have tried with a Telmore sim card, and then it says "TDC Mobil".

4. Tosser macrumors 68030

Well, to be fair, Sonofon (and TDC respectively) are the carriers, not Bibob (and Telmore). It's not merely the ownership of the masts, it's the same network, just to be clear here.

But from your test, it sounds like it's not possible to change.
    What happens when you go in and do a manual search for carriers?
    Can you double tap the carrier name at the top? If so, what happens then?