Why not move to Windows? Validation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arogge, Mar 25, 2012.

1. arogge, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I've been reminded today why I don't want to rely on Microsoft Windows. I tried to install the latest "critical" security update today, and the update took a very long time to download, and when it started to install, Windows Update locked up. I was presented with a message saying:

"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. To use all Microsoft Windows features, such as all updates from Windows Update; get the latest updates; and receive product support, your copy of Microsoft Windows must be validated as genuine. Go online and resolve now."

When I clicked on the link to "go online", it brought up Microsoft Internet Explorer, which displayed a popup saying "Speed up browsing by disabling add-ons" and promptly locked up (Windows Internet Explorer Not Responding). Then I got another message saying that my validation period had expired, and that I needed to re-register my copy of Windows 7. Now it wants to "Download Required Windows Validation Components", and I'm looking at a warning message from Microsoft saying that there's a risk involved with agreeing to this download and installation. Okay, so I select Download and then Allow for Internet Explorer to run the add-on "Windows Activation Technologies from Microsoft Corporation." No response. Fsck this thing! Back to Mac OS X for me!

Update: After a long wait, Activation spit back this warning:

"Windows running on this PC has not yet been properly activated. To resolve, contact your system administrator for assistance."

I am the system administrator, and I did that stupid Activation thing when I installed this copy of Windows! Even more insulting, below the warning is an "opportunity" to "Buy genuine Windows" for $149.00. So, now I have to prove to Microsoft that I really own (or is it called rent?) my copy of Windows? What a waste of my time! I'm glad that I don't have anything critical running on this system, because I could be totally screwed over by Windows Activation.

2. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I plugged my photosmart 8750 into my mbp and it took 6 clicks to get it installed and print a test page.

It took 1 click on windows 7 to do the same thing.

Both OS's have shortcomings and unique benifits. Hating on either one is a fail.

3. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

Extra "clicks" to install a device aren't relevant, like being asked for an administrator's password to change system settings. Being locked out of your OS, and being treated like a criminal who needs to pay for a "genuine" copy, is a serious problem. The fact that Windows can do this, and Windows 8 probably hasn't changed this problem, what's going to fail is Windows getting purchased for new systems unless I can get a version that doesn't have any Product Activation in it.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I use both on a daily basis and have no issues. I actually wish my android tablet had more capable software, its much more pleasant when the OS just gets out of the way so I can use programs.

5. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Maybe you should obtain a legal copy of Windows?

That's like saying, "I hate driving cars because whenever I drive a stolen one, I get pulled over!"

6. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

Your reading comprehension is obviously not working! It is a legal copy, the Product ID was accepted before installation, it was registered online, and it was working fine until I downloaded the "critical" security update. The update broke something, and now it has created a problem with Product Activation, an annoyance that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

This was the fear when such a copy-protection system was first imposed by Microsoft, Adobe, and others. Now I've experienced the problem myself, and I have to spend more time figuring out how to undo the problem, or, like some people have done when faced with this situation, just crack the stupid copy-protection. If it takes me more than another hour to figure out how to bypass it the normal way, I intend to download a crack and be done. So far, it only seems to be affecting Windows Update, but that could change after another trigger is passed, and I may find myself unable to use my programs.

Funny thing is that I've never had to consider doing this to any other company's OS, and yet I've experienced more slowdowns, lockups, unintended operations, security threats, and downtime for patch installations with Microsoft. It's a mess of code, and after my early Windows 8 experience, I think OS X is going to blow Windows away.

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The Mac Pros at College I used to use would crash so often, at being presented the most simplest of tasks, Render video footage in Final Cut Pro? *CRASH*

Export a picture from Photoshop? *CRASH*

Yet my PC continues to run flawlessly, everyone has good and bad experiences with each OS, doesn't mean this experience is the same for everyone.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

Activation was successful

Apparently, the Product Activation registration was erased by Windows Update and the expiration timer was reset. After rebooting again, I went into the Control Panel and found the Windows Activation program and asked it to re-validate. It went through and I seem to be clear. Now, who else wants to tell me that I have an illegal copy of Windows? The problem remains that I just lost an hour of computer time dealing with this screw-up, when the security problem that necessitated the patch should have been fixed in the first place. Now the fun begins to see what else got broken... hopefully nothing, but you never know. I already see one thing that's changed. My wallpaper is gone and has been replaced by a plain black screen, and I was using Microsoft's bundled wallpaper as part of a Theme. :mad: This is why critical systems are sandbox-tested with patches before deploying the patches across the network.

----------

That sounds like a hardware problem, or something that the school may have done to the systems. I'd have complained, because the Mac is certified to work with FCP. If it doesn't work, that's someone's fault, and it should be fixed promptly.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Yeah, Windows doesn't give a ****.

"Whats this program/hardware? who cares lets just install it"

Yes, both do have their flaws but i'm glad the odd OSX flaw i've encountered out ways the endless **** storm I used to get from windows.

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Just put in your product activation key again? It's not that hard. Also, when you have the largest marketshare (What, isn't it like 90-somethng percent that they own), you're going to need to take extra security measures to prevent people from pirating it. Validation isn't a reason to stay away from Windows at all. Remember, most of the times, PEBKAC. (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair ;) ).

----------
    I will say I've had more issues on my Mac in a month than I did on my Windows 7 laptop in a year. W7 is extremely reliable and an amazing OS, and again, 99% of the time, PEBKAC.

11. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

It didn't prompt for the Product ID again. It just assumed that the copy was unregistered, and threatened to lock me out unless I bought a new copy or re-validated. Then it locked up when I tried to validate through Internet Explorer as prompted, after warning me that allowing the Activation software to be installed could expose my PC to security threats. That never happens on OS X or Linux, or any other OS I've used.

Installing a security update shouldn't cause the registration to be erased, but it apparently did. The people who were stealing the OS before are continuing to steal it, and if everyone was required to pay the exorbitant fees for licenses, many more people would move away from Windows, Adobe software, and anyone else using Product Activation. That would be a good thing, but Product Activation isn't helping as much as it should.

If that lockout happened again, and next time the timer went to zero immediately, and I couldn't immediately fix it because the process failed on Microsoft's end or because I didn't have access to an Internet connection, I could lose data and money. Is Microsoft responsible for damages as a result of its copy-protection scheme going bad? If not, why not?

12. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Not sure what to say then. I've never seen or even heard of this happening. I guess you just got really unlucky with a software glitch.

13. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Quite a few of them behaved like this, It wasn't just FCP that would kick it off, sometimes Photoshop would, the IT guys there were useless, they worked in a building with 85% Mac, 15% PC's and they knew next to nothing about them.

14. jivemaster macrumors member

I do think this is a bit of an overreaction. Of course it would be great if Windows didn't have this protection in place, but it would be pirated more than it already is if it didn't have it.

What you have experienced is not a common occurrence and is clearly a bug induced by your particular system config and circumstances. I'm a 50/50 Windows and Mac user and haven't experienced any issues with either.

Also remember that while Microsoft makes money only from its OS, Apple sells computers along with their OS, and their updates are cheap for the consumer so there is far less risk of users pirating the OS. Apple makes its money from the hardware and app/software purchases.

If you're in USA you could try and sue them for the lost hour of your life jk

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

16. ender land macrumors 6502a

My mac freezes more often than Windows EVER did for me.

17. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

TBH this Windows product key nonsense is just another form of DRM, and it's DRM that's cracked very easily. If it didn't exist, Windows wouldn't be pirated any more than it already is at all.

That said, you're probably right it's a compatibility issue with something else in OP's config, but I've experienced loads of those in Windows before and they can happen for really random reasons.