Why not old MBP instead of the new MB??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anirudh, Oct 23, 2008.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

I mean after reading all the threads, you would think its an obvious decision to go in for the old MBP as it beats the new MB hands down in all departments (even the screen). The only upgrade being the unibody.

Any other reason that I am not seeing here???? What are your reasons???

2. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I enjoy the 13" screen. It is easier for me to carry around and more functional than a MBA.

3. mattnxtc macrumors member

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think that it is exactly what you said. The only thing that you gain is the unibody. Well, you also gain the multitouch glass trackpad which is a pretty neat feature. As far as performance is concerned though the older MBP is leaps and bounds better than the MB.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Obviously form factor, otherwise the value of the old MacBook Pro for $1349 is hard to beat!

A shame only the US has access to refurbished products :(

6. Draddy macrumors regular

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, it is still under 2 years of special warranty if it fails.

Not ALL chips fail.

9. sheperinski macrumors member

I don't know where you're getting your info from. Obviously the old MBP outflanks the new MB with its screen - it's bigger to say the least. But I've just sold my old MBP to pick up a new 2.4GHz MB, and aside from screensize and 3MB L2 cache (instead of my old 6MB L2), the MB outperforms my MBP in all areas.

I think a fairer comparison would be new MBP to old MBP and new MB to old MB.

10. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Have you been looking at benchmarks? The New MB is not being outperformed by the old MBP......only in games.

11. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Having owned the last gen. MacBook Pro my two quibbles with it were the easily dented case (compression in my laptop case caused the lid to become uneven) and that keyboard (missed first letters & never liked the feel). Based on those two reasons i'd go with the newer MB.

12. alex000it macrumors member

That's not exactly true.... check out the other european apple stores (ex. UK, IT, DE...) :D

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I went with the old MBP instead of the new MB.

I couldn't pass up such a good deal on the old one. Right now using ebay and paypal, you can search on live.com for macbook pro and get 25% off (max 200).

I picked up a 2.4 MBP 2gig, 200GB multitouch 5 months old for 1050 shipped.

I was even looking at the refurbs for 1350, but would have to pay sales tax and that would make it 1500, macbook territory and then I was thinking why not spend the extra 400 and get a new mbp.

But for 1050 I have no regrets.

14. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I still prefere the old one and i think that is where im going to be investing my money :)

15. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

ok... whats this GPU failure i have heard on the old MBP?

16. dannyar macrumors 6502

New MB- Glass trackpad, as fast performance wise as old MBP except for gaming, faster memory at 1066 instead of 667,better casing, better battery life, better form factor at 13 instead of 15, doesnt heat up at all, no fan noise.

Old MBP- Better gfx card for gaming, Firewire. Thats all.

17. EricJD macrumors regular

I bought a new MacBook because it's smaller than the MacBook Pro.