Why Not PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by douglhanna, Apr 3, 2014.

1. douglhanna macrumors newbie

I've had an iMac for years. I love Apple and couldn't live without my iPad and iPhone. However, I'm in the market for a new laptop, and while my reflex is to buy a MacBook Pro, I'm not sure it's worth it.

All of the apps I use for work (Adobe CS, Logos Bible Software, Quickbooks, Evernote) are available for Windows. I do a huge amount of work in the cloud.

The only apps I use semi-regularly that aren't available on Windows is iWork, but the suite is in the cloud now, and I'm not about to spend all the extra money so I can use Pages once a month.

So, why should I buy a Mac? (In other words, help me justify spending the extra money. :D)

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

They each have they pros and cons. PCs definitely have the best bang for the buck in terms of hardware. So if money is an issue, I would say stick with PC.

Macs play more to the aesthetics and elegance, which is costly. My personal experience is so much better with macs. I find the UI a lot more friendly, and overall a very simple and clean experience. Granted, I have not used Windows 8 for an extended period of time, but I was repulsed by the shear look of it, I had to go back to 7.

A con of mac is that it is not supported by a lot of software (in my case SolidWorks and some video games on Steam). Which gives me some resentment when I have to go to windows to use them... Since what you use is compatible with both macs and PCs, it doesnt seem like an issue for you; though I would think ahead toward the future in terms of compatibility.

Another reason I like macs is because Im invested in the Apple Ecosystem, most of my family has iPhones, and iMessage on the Mac is one I use all too often; facetime also comes in handy. But again, there are windows alternative such as google voice and skype.

Also you can have both OSX and Windows on a Mac, either by dual booting with bootcamp, or using a virtual machine such as parallels. Hackintoshes are very hardware specific.

But in the end, it's all your preference really. What do you want?

3. simsaladimbamba

Because you would pay roughly the same for an equivalent Windows notebook, but only if you value battery life, weight and size of the notebook, backlit keyboard, EXCEPTIONAL trackpad, excellent display, build quality, the OS and some other aspects.
    Yes, you can get them with some Windows notebooks, but if they are all combined, they cost the same or more than a Mac, thus why not go with the one you like.

If you do not mind Windows, and PC is short for Personal Computer, which a Mac also is, and nowadays even a smartphone and tablet, then go with a Windows notebook.

4. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

iWork's web version is severely crippled, and the "Apple tax" is not all about iWork.

Note that OS X will probably go flat/neon/iOS 7/Windows 8-style very soon.

5. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

For me, it's all about two major issues, and a bunch of minor ones.

The two major ones are iPhoto and iMovie. I like them both, and I use both a lot.

The (not quite so) minor issues are: The Apple ecosystem works well (iMac, iPad, iPhone, & AppleTV); I use a PC all day at work, and I just don't like Windows 7; I believe security on the Mac is much better than on PCs; and the build quality of every Apple device I have is excellent (the MBP I used to have lasted SEVEN YEARS!); and if something does break (I had a bad screen on a phone once), Apple's customer service is EXCELLENT.

You can buy a cheaper PC if you want. But don't think for a second that it's going to be "equivalent".

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've been using Microsoft products since DOS, then in 2010 I bought my first MacBook.

It's nice to have a complete OS that just works.

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I would dispute you'll spend extra money apart from initially. In the long term, you'll be able to resell a Mac, probably for 50% of what you paid for after say 3 or 4 years. A three or 4 year old windows PC will be close to worthless.
    End result, a mac costs no mid than a PC.

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

For years many studies have shown that Macs have a lower total cost of ownership (TCO). Yes, they cost more to buy but the support costs are significantly lower. I spend more time maintaining my Windows virtual machine that's used for 2 programs (Access & Visual Studio) than my MBP, iPad, and iPhone. Started Windows 7 today, first time in a few days, and had to install 47 updates. That's just system updates. I haven't had that many updates all year for my Mac and all it's apps.

After many years of Windows I don't miss it at all.

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Lots of great reasons to stay put. One more... Learning curve. That can be a real productivity-killer. And it's not just about learning the OS. If you're using Mac Contacts, Mail, and Calendar... Say hello to Outlook. And so on. I'd wager that the few hundred dollars saved by going Windows will be sucked up by the time spent on learning curve alone.

Then there's the nickel-and-dime stuff - Microsoft is going to keep charging for Windows upgrades unless and until the OS becomes advertising-supported. Anti-virus subscription. The cost of buying the Windows versions of applications you use on Mac (yes, some developers do that, Intuit among them: QuickBook Pro for Windows is $249)...

I think you need way more compelling reasons than the initial cost of hardware to make a platform change (regardless of what the platform may be).

10. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Theres no reason why not, its your choice to make.