Why not the EVO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sandman1969, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I think I have decided to go with the Samsung 500GB EVO to upgrade my 2012 15" MBP instead of the 256GB Pro. Can't really justify another $100+ for the 512GB Pro and the more I think about it why not get the EVO to have the same drive space I have now for a better Dollar to GB.

I know it is slightly slower than the Pro with some benchmarks, but doubt I would actually notice it myself. And what I read the increase is only around 5% and the EVO is a slightly faster with random reads. Also, both will outlive any laptop I own so not worried about the Pro lasting longer.

One thing I noticed with the EVOs I have looked at. Rip off Best Buy has it for $100 more than Amazon, but the model number is different than what Amazon has as well as Newegg.

Is this just a case of a "special" model for Best Buy so they don't have to price match?

Best Buy has a MZ-7TE500LW
    Amazon and Newegg list a MZ-7TE500BW

So before I pull the trigger is there any reason NOT to get the EVO? I think I am pretty set on the Samsung, as it seems to have the most consistent reviews and is up in the top of most sites.

2. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

They're not the same product. The Best Buy drive is the 'Notebook Kit' version which includes SSD Drive, USB 3.0 to SATA Cable, Drive Spacer, Samsung Data Migration Software, Samsung SSD Magician Software whereas the Amazon version is just the bare drive. The Bestbuy version is also available on Amazon though it's through a 3rd party seller.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

The memory used in the EVO doesn't last as long as the memory in the Pro but that should only be an issue on the 128GB drives.

4. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks. I should have read closer on that. Wish Best Buy just sold the drive then. Can the Magician Software be downloaded from Samsung directly? Is it necessary with OSX to update the firmware and the like? Seeing as it is going inside I don't need all of that anyway. Thanks.

Yes, it doesn't last as long but still has a life expectancy longer than the typical HDD and I believe is close to 15-20 years, where as the Pro is 40+ years. Anandtech or some similar site did a test on the EVO as well and it's life on their tests was 3 times what was advertised by Samsung. That was with the 250GB drive so guess the 500GB would be even longer. WAY past the life I expect for the MBP.

So the larger the drive the longer they last is due to there being more segments to juggle files between, reducing the number of read/writes on each segment of the drive as it is spread around more?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is true the 128GB will not last as long... but in normal usage neither (128/256GB) is likely to be an issue. Good article here from Anandtech.

[​IMG]

----------

You don't need any of that software. Just get the bare drive and pop it in.

6. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Thanks, yeah I read that article as well as many others trying to decide and I think the EVO would be perfect for me. Giving me the same storage I have now with the HDD 5400rpm drive and should last the life of the MBP with my usage.

And if it starts to fail before then I can look at a PRO or newer at that point as prices should continue to fall.

So that disk isn't for Firmware updating or configuration of the drive? Cool.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is Windows only software for monitoring drive health/usage. There is a ISO here you can use to make a bootable disk on a Mac to update firmware.

8. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

You don't need the Magician software with Mac. Once you install the new drive and install OSX you can restore from a Time Machine backup. If you're just cloning your existing drive to the new SSD you can use Carbon Copy Cloner which is free for Cloning. Samsung Firmware updates do not require Magician software. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the following page under "Samsung SSD Firmware Updates for Mac Users".

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

9. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Awesome thanks!

So I should be comfortable with ordering the EVO? I think I would fill up a 256GB drive too quick, with my Logic Pro Loops, Projects as well as the Video editing I do. Also, I don't want to lug around an external.

I am thinking this upgrade will keep me happy with my MBP for a couple more years :)

----------

Thanks as well! I will probably do a fresh install on the drive and just move over some things from the Time Machine copy I make. There are many apps from the Wife I will no longer need on my MBP since she has her own MBA now. Which she simply loves... I was actually debating on looking at an upcoming rMBP for myself, but think I would miss my Drive and FW I currently have. Some of our audio interfaces are FW, and don't want to upgrade them to USB just yet.

10. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Well 500GB EVO ordered and me, Mr Impatient, will have it delivered tomorrow.

Man I love Amazon.

Can't wait to see the differences! :eek:

11. Doward macrumors 6502a

Here's a video I just did. I got the 1TB for my 2011 MBP 17":

12. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

EVO Showed up today! So happy with this upgrade. I went from the internal 5400rpm 500GB Drive with :

52 MB/s Write
    42 MB/s Read

To

491 MB/s Write
    509 MB/s Read

I enabled TRIM, but didn't notice any difference. Not sure if that is needed.

What a difference this thing makes!