Why not the top notch?--reception-related

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by obsidian1200, Jul 1, 2010.

1. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Okay, first of all, I'm not saying that the reception issue when holding the phone in such a way that makes contact with that bottom, left notch don't exist. I have been able to replicate it so I feel your pain.

However, why is it only that bottom left notch? I realize the one on the right exists purely for design purposes, but the top one, as you probably know, is the other true break in the band. I've tried again and again to replicate the issue via that notch, yet I haven't had any trouble.

So, MacRumors, why is it only that bottom-left notch? What makes the one on the top so darn special?

2. 8mpg macrumors regular

why dont you just hold your phone upside down?

3. obsidian1200 thread starter macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Because only trolls hold their phone upside down. Also, the way I've always held the phone never ever allows me to block that problem spot. It's a problem for everyone else, a non-issue for myself.

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've read that more recent FCC regulations require that the phone's radio antenna be as far from the head as possible, hence the antenna on the bottom...IIRC, all US phones have their antenna on the bottom as to meet the FCC radiation requirements...

5. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Good question!

[​IMG]

I have been trying figure it out based on this image. The left part is for the bluetooth, wifi, gps, while the right is for gsm and umts (I don't what that is).

For some reason the way the atennas function near eachother the bottom left causes the reception issue, while the top doesn't! IDK! I don't think Apple knows either (hence the job postings).

Of course this all could be caused by software (doubtful). But as always, stay tuned. :D

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Might help if you actually read the post

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I was just trying to make the point that the FCC regulations must be worked around in the design...and I'm sure it causes the designers problems...it would surely be easier for the design engineers to just put the antenna's at the top like the old phones used to...

8. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Ah the good ol' days, where no one cared if we microwaved our brains or not.

9. 8mpg macrumors regular

Dont know why we care now. Who uses their phone that much that they will increase their chances of a brain tumor. The World Health Organization says there is a link...but they have no actual proof. There are more incidences of brain cancer and tumors these days due to improved medical scanning technology. CT's and MRI's have come a long way since the development of the cell phone.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Or if we consumed too much salt...