Why not to buy cheap, CRAP lightning cables

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aluminimac, Apr 14, 2014.

1. aluminimac macrumors member

I recently bought a cheapo lightning cable, based upon a certain risk factor (6M only being £6) and based upon Amazon "reviews" (not wise, but it was cheap, so...).

Anyhow, I thought I'd show you why saving money IS NOT always a good idea, and why to avoid "CloudSeller" cables - because they're JUNK.

Attached, my investigatory photo; the poor quality is likely why my iPod Touch keeps making the charging sound, then stops charging, then repeats again and again as you wiggle the lead.

Pay the extra folks, it's worth it.

Attached Files:

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yep, I've finally through with cheap Lightning/dock cables. Yours does look spectacularly awful, but my collection might well be the same at that magnification.

Just this morning I spent an hour looking for a list of accredited MFi manufacturers, but couldn't find one. Does anyone know if a definitive list exists? Seems strange that the Apple website wouldn't have such a list.

3. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Live and learn. Sometimes even the name brand MFI, looking at you iFrogz, stuff just isn't up to snuff.

4. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Weird thing: my OEM lightning is the only one that has corrosion on it.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

My AmazonBasics lightning and 30-pin cables work great. I do believe they're Apple certified.

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yikes, that’s pretty poor execution. Nice closeup photos!

There are some 3rd party options, that are cheaper than OEM that look outstanding:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...513405&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+lightning+cable

$13.99 for a 3m cable, not bad.

The Amazon Basics product line seems very solid - in fact, I picked up Amazon Basics banana plugs (for custom audio cables) and I’d highly recommend them :)

I have a credit voucher for Moshi and I’ll probably use that to score an extra Lightening cable, and I’d suspect it’ll be high grade too (it should be, it’s the same price as an Apple cable :D Plus they’re a well regarded 3rd party Apple product manufacturer)

7. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

The Amazon cables are pretty good, but one that I used for a few months started fraying at the lightning connector end. It got heavy use with lots of movement, so it's probably not indicative of poor quality.

The main issue I have with the Amazon cables is that the size of the plug is too large to fit through the hole in my case, just FYI.

8. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Post a pic

9. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

There ya go.

Attached Files:

10. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Here's my generic lightning to 30 pin adapter. Works fine except it dosent play music. That's ok because I always use bluetooth though. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397519746.620046.jpg

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Monoprice is MFI certified and I haven't had any problems with their lightning cables. Bought a 6ft cable for about $7 less than Apple's 1m cable.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry if this is a stupid question...but isn't there a risk of damaging one's devices using a "CRAP lightening cable"?

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Every single lightning cable I own from genuine Apple to a variety of off brand have blackened connectors. Just about all still work perfectly fine.

14. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Yeah, they all work fine. Doesn't bother me. I just find it funny that my off-brand ones are clean as a whistle still.

15. aluminimac thread starter macrumors member

Nice clear photos there.... yep :p

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Take that to an Apple Store or call them. They replace these for free.

17. DonnyXMX macrumors member

DonnyXMX

18. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

[​IMG]

No?

Thought not.

There's a world of difference between 'certified for' and 'happens to work with'.

19. serglb macrumors newbie

serglb

I use Belkin or iFrogz. Those never let me down.

----------

wow

20. meistervu macrumors 65816

Why not by cheap crap anything

By definition, anything that is crap doesn't work, so there is no reason to buy it.

21. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

As for most products, if you buy the cheapest you are likely to get total rubbish. If you buy the most expensive, you are likely to get among the best at a considerable premium (the law of diminishing returns). The "smartest money" tends to be spent in the middle. Of course, we are mostly Apple addicts, and lean toward the right of the spectrum. C'est la vie.

22. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

2 of my OEM lightning cables (out of3 that I have) have cracked and are showing inside wiring, yet the Amazon ones are perfectly fine. I guess not all aftermarket ones are crap

23. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Tech Armor. Lifetime warranty. Done and Done.

24. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I'm with you on that. I have 3 of them! Still look new and have no ware on them for over 5 months.

25. LDS33 macrumors newbie