Why not to buy cheap, CRAP lightning cables

aluminimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
I recently bought a cheapo lightning cable, based upon a certain risk factor (6M only being £6) and based upon Amazon "reviews" (not wise, but it was cheap, so...).

Anyhow, I thought I'd show you why saving money IS NOT always a good idea, and why to avoid "CloudSeller" cables - because they're JUNK.

Attached, my investigatory photo; the poor quality is likely why my iPod Touch keeps making the charging sound, then stops charging, then repeats again and again as you wiggle the lead.

Pay the extra folks, it's worth it.

Attachments

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Yep, I've finally through with cheap Lightning/dock cables. Yours does look spectacularly awful, but my collection might well be the same at that magnification.

Just this morning I spent an hour looking for a list of accredited MFi manufacturers, but couldn't find one. Does anyone know if a definitive list exists? Seems strange that the Apple website wouldn't have such a list.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
Just this morning I spent an hour looking for a list of accredited MFi manufacturers, but couldn't find one. Does anyone know if a definitive list exists? Seems strange that the Apple website wouldn't have such a list.
My AmazonBasics lightning and 30-pin cables work great. I do believe they're Apple certified.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I recently bought a cheapo lightning cable, based upon a certain risk factor (6M only being £6) and based upon Amazon "reviews" (not wise, but it was cheap, so...).

Anyhow, I thought I'd show you why saving money IS NOT always a good idea, and why to avoid "CloudSeller" cables - because they're JUNK.

Attached, my investigatory photo; the poor quality is likely why my iPod Touch keeps making the charging sound, then stops charging, then repeats again and again as you wiggle the lead.

Pay the extra folks, it's worth it.
Yikes, that’s pretty poor execution. Nice closeup photos!

There are some 3rd party options, that are cheaper than OEM that look outstanding:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-Lightning-Compatible-Cable/dp/B009SYZ8OC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397513405&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+lightning+cable

$13.99 for a 3m cable, not bad.

The Amazon Basics product line seems very solid - in fact, I picked up Amazon Basics banana plugs (for custom audio cables) and I’d highly recommend them :)

I have a credit voucher for Moshi and I’ll probably use that to score an extra Lightening cable, and I’d suspect it’ll be high grade too (it should be, it’s the same price as an Apple cable :D Plus they’re a well regarded 3rd party Apple product manufacturer)

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
The Amazon cables are pretty good, but one that I used for a few months started fraying at the lightning connector end. It got heavy use with lots of movement, so it's probably not indicative of poor quality.

The main issue I have with the Amazon cables is that the size of the plug is too large to fit through the hole in my case, just FYI.

Reactions: jev425

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Every single lightning cable I own from genuine Apple to a variety of off brand have blackened connectors. Just about all still work perfectly fine.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Every single lightning cable I own from genuine Apple to a variety of off brand have blackened connectors. Just about all still work perfectly fine.
Yeah, they all work fine. Doesn't bother me. I just find it funny that my off-brand ones are clean as a whistle still.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Why not by cheap crap anything

By definition, anything that is crap doesn't work, so there is no reason to buy it.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
As for most products, if you buy the cheapest you are likely to get total rubbish. If you buy the most expensive, you are likely to get among the best at a considerable premium (the law of diminishing returns). The "smartest money" tends to be spent in the middle. Of course, we are mostly Apple addicts, and lean toward the right of the spectrum. C'est la vie.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
2 of my OEM lightning cables (out of3 that I have) have cracked and are showing inside wiring, yet the Amazon ones are perfectly fine. I guess not all aftermarket ones are crap