Why not to get a Momentus XT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glueeater, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Glueeater macrumors regular

So, NewEgg just dropped the price to $125 shipped for 500gb. I'm thinking about getting it. It's either that or a Scorpio Blue 750gb.

Now, what do I do with my laptop? I play Steam games (at times, as they usually run horribly slow), I surf on Chrome, I use Mail, Excel, and iTunes. I also DJ using Traktor Scratch Pro.

I bootcamp to play MOST of my games. I know this is a factor for the caching etc.

I'm not in DIRE need of space. I have 50gb left, and multiple seasons of different television shows on my hdd. Not to mention several movies. I am a virtual pack rat of sorts, I guess, and I like to carry my media with me. I often use my laptop hooked up to an HDTV for viewing TV shows and movies.

Right now, I'm using a stock 320gb in a late 2008 uMBP.

Any thoughts on why I shouldn't blow $125 on a new hard drive?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The Momentus XT is a great drive, there's not really a downside to it. You get a nice speed boost with the SSD portion and the capacity that you want :)

3. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

4. csunflip macrumors regular

5. demonsavatar macrumors regular

The only reason not to get it is if you can spring for at least a 40-80GB SSD which can hold your entire operating system and most applications. Then you can use the MCE Optibay or something to put the original HD and still retain storage capacity. The suggested set up will have better performance.