Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iMac' started by washburn, Jun 28, 2013.
The CPUs are already out for the iMac right?
Why does Apple take longer to just update the chips?
Some of the Haswell desktop chips are shipping, some come out in September. Maybe Apple wants some of those?
They do not want to update all their products at once, because they would lose capital and put on jeopardy their own products.
Apple does this every chip release. The chipset is released by intel, and we wait a period of time, whether its weeks or months.
I'm not sure why they're waiting, since we'll be entering the period of time that people buy computers for school, and shortly after that is the holiday season (which where I'm at - buying an iMac for Christmas)
maybe for retina displays and for that late this year october/november like.
THey wait for thunderbolt 2 i think and for geforce to be ready for 780MX maybe, they will put PCIe for sure with Fusion Drive as standard maybe
The last Mac Mini update shows that even a seemingly minor update can cause problems. The delays are probably down to testing. Of course some issues will still get though, such as happened with the Mac Mini HDMI output, but a lot more will be picked up. We just never hear about them.
Or in the case of the current Mac Book Air, 802.11ac is having issues. At this point, I suspect Apple wants to correct the WiFi issue before releasing any more Mac updates.
The iMac update is most likely not waiting on Thunderbolt 2. I suspect it won't be until after early next year that Apple includes TB2 on systems other than the Mac Pro. And as for Retina, probably not this year on the iMac.
Intel says they expect to have Thunderbolt 2 in production by the end of the year. The Mac Pro will almost certainly be the first computer to get it, probably well ahead of general availability. I think the other models will be updated well before the Mac Pro, so are doubtful to receive it.
I'd imagine a few reasons:
1. Like most manufacturers they probably buy chips in bulk to get a discount. This means they have machines in the pipeline to sell.
2. Apple wants to sell systems it can support. If it had to consider every little CPU tweak in the market it would increase support costs.
3. Apple has to consider how the new chips will perform in it's very tight form-factor cases.
Believe me, I understand the frustration. I'd buy a new iMac right now if I could get one with 802.11ac, and upgraded CPU (actually, I'd like a GPU bump as well). I'm holding out on the hope they will have all this in an iMac revision by end of year.
If the only thing they had planned for the next iMac was Haswell, they'd probably just skip the whole thing for all the benefit they get out of it.