Why not use Assistive Touch on Iphone X?

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
For those concerned about removal of home button and an array of new gestures on X, why not consider using 'Assistive Touch' feature on ios?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202658

It is effectively a floating, semi-transparent button which lets you control the device all in one place using simple taps (including a home tap) - you can even restart the phone!

I have been using it since Apple moved from a mechanical home button to the artifical 'taptic' button in Iphone 7 and never looked back.

This does not solve the touch id issue of course!

Reactions: Ladybug

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Is assistive touch removed from iOS on the X? One can always enable it. But isn't that pretty much the solution Apple is using. I mean the X is basically controlled by gestures now rather than a physical button or button placeholder.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
But isn't that pretty much the solution Apple is using. I mean the X is basically controlled by gestures now rather than a physical button or button placeholder.
It is...
But it is all in one place through a pseudo-button when you use assistive touch!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It is...
But it is all in one place through a pseudo-button when you use assistive touch!
Right but why do you need a fake button. I mean it's still the gesture that completes the task. We don't have buttons on our trackpad and we get along just fine. The button feels kind of antiquated and also ditching it would make Jobs very happy as he hated buttons -- sometimes a bit to obsessively like when it came to mice but here I think it will work great.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
All Apple needs to do is copy LG - double tap to wake and sleep.

Assistive Touch gets annoying. It's one of the reasons why I was reluctant going back to iOS in the first place. You can have AT on Android but never use it.

Raise to wake is good. All I want is gesture controls on a future iOS11 update and double tap to sleep. People don't realize how far ahead of the game Palm was with webOS back in 2009.