Why not use MRoogle as main search tool/function?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by spinnerlys, May 9, 2009.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hello.

Seeing that many threads could be avoided, if people just use the search function with MRoogle, I don't see why it isn't used in the search function.
    Right now it seems to be an insider knowledge to me to use MRoogle.

The forums search function is more than just unhelpful if one is looking for something. MRoogle gives better results.

So why isn't MRoogle properly advertised on this page?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1) A halfway solution (actually it's more like a 90% solution) would be to move the Google custom search field to above the default forum search.

2) Or just start locking and/or deleting every thread wanting to know...
    -if they should buy their computer now or wait for SL
    -which macbook to buy
    -which external hard drive to buy
    -"list your top apps!"
    -what the best torrent client is
    -matte vs glossy

with a link to Mroogle in the mod reply, as a warning.

Unfortunately I'm thinking the higher ups would be more likely to go for #1 (-:

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Because this lil copyright: © 2005-2008 edesignuk is the copyright owner... Arn needs his permission for Mroogle to intergraded w/ MR regular search function..

See here: MRoogle see the small print?? :eek:

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be very hard to acquire. edesignuk is an active forum member, so I guess he could speak for himself if he finds this thread :p

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I was going to suggest an integrated search and info tool bar in the header of the forums, but that looks more complicated than I thought. Copyright and all. My thought was combining the forum search, MRoogle, Google and Apple Support in an easy access tool bar.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

If only, if only. I've never been able to find anything I wanted with the integrated search, it's appalling.

7. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Am I missing something here? :confused: Just click the Search Menu at the top of the page, and use the Google Search. It gives you the same results as MRGoogle. I never use the other search.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That's because it is the same thing.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Mroogle makes it easier to search by date. So when I use it to show how many "post your top applications!" threads have popped up in the last month, people can't use the argument that all the other threads are old.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No, all it needs is to google:
    theSearchTerm site:forums.macrumors.com

anyone can make the search form to do that.

11. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

So, why hasn't anyone?

Since finding MRoogle, I always use it to search for threads first, or give the search results to people to lazy (or more often ignorant of that feature, as it is not advertised here) to do that.

Are Arn and edesignuk not on speaking terms, or why should one hold such feature back?
    Or is it, that to implement MRoogle into MacForums is quite a hassle with the forum software?

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I think more sites should use a search function that actually works. Especially a large site.

Maybe because the easily implemented custom google search might put in its own ads?

Another problem is that the search box on macrumors.com home page
    only searches page 1 stories and does not search the forums.
    It needs a drop down or selection that gives user ability to search page 1 or forums.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've never made MRoogle out to be anything more than a front end to Google.

What it does do is make the more "nerdy" Google search options easy to use for anyone.

You can search different parts of the site, time periods, all words, any word etc. All these features are just an option you click. No having to know how to make it work, it does it for you.

To have all the options MRoogle has requires it's own page IMO, even if arn wanted to integrate it, it wouldn't work in a simple drop down with the other search options.

14. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know about the "nerdy" parts, due to my ignorance of properly using search algorithms like boolean and such.

But wouldn't it be possible to put a link into the search drop down menu at the top of the forums page?

EDIT: I just saw the Google Search option in the drop down menu. Does it work the same like your front end?

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh yes, arn could link to MRoogle for people to then carry out their search if he wanted to. That would be easy to do.

That's up to him though, and seeing as this is all arn's little empire, I can't see it happening.

I'm really glad so many people seem to get good use out of MRoogle. When I made it one morning I never thought it'd be running [approaching] 10,000 searches a month.

I guess those that want to use it can get to it quickly enough. If you like it and think others would too [if only they knew it was there!], help out and link to it in your forum signature :)

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

*giggles*

MRoogle has a a few more options than a simple google search, and I like it as it is, on its own page.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Kind of, in that it uses Google. MRoogle just has a lot more options to help you find what you're looking for.

18. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

Why giggle? :)

And I like it too as it is now, I maybe just want to have a more obvious link to MRoogle on the front page or the "New Thread" page (like: Are you sure you want to post this thread? There may be plenty of already existing ones out there discussing that what you wanna know about, you know? -BAMM, SLASH, WOOSH- MRoogle) or the Search drop down, instead of finding out about MRoogle in people's signatures.

Nothing more.

It's just that, as a member of this board (for only eight months or so) I find it strange (to say the least) that many questions/threads appear more than twice in one week or even one day.

PS: Does it "hurt" the BBS software/server more, if a new thread is created than a new post? I mean, does it take more processing power and storage space?

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It doesn't hurt the software. It has no feelings!

(I don't think it has feelings anyway)

[Yes I do have feelings!]

The bad thing about having dupe posts is... for instance when the apple store goes down and everybody thinks they are the first person to discover this and insist on making a new thread, if users go to a forum where that thread is heavily being made it kind of "blocks" people from seeing the other threads. Basically too many threads about the same topic block the non duplicate threads from easy viewing.

If you see a dupe thread report it though... if they are both reasonably recent enough we'll probably merge them. We got nothing else to do in the attic... except eat all this pie.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Arn could probably put a link to it as a search option but he wouldn't be able to control it (MRoogle) so I can understand why he might not want to do that. But I suppose just as easily he could un-link it. Anyway, I dunno. That's not up to me.

And I am still sort of giggling about that "Does it work the same like your front end?" thing. It just struck me as very funny.

21. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, thanks, now I understand. I had a laugh now. Hmm, new topic for my cycologist. ;)

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Is that like the person you'd take your bike to if its front end was messed up?

(sorry :D)

23. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

You and other front ends. .... :D

Cycologist.

Yes and now.

But in reality it was a title card in "Fraternal Schwinns", a Frasier episode.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios