Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
i have LOTS of stuff on my macbook pro....

and no external HDD ...

is it going to be fine if i just use the upgrade choice when installing leopard??

im a new mac user and i though that Apple make good products...

why dont you people trust apple and just upgrade .. ?! :confused:

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA

and no external HDD ...

is it going to be fine if i just use the upgrade choice when installing leopard??

Some people have had OS X installed for a while and just like to start fresh. Though, Apple made the upgrade to work well. If it didn't work well, it wouldn't be in there. No need to worry.

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California

and no external HDD ...

we do.

its just that Archive and Install (which will not touch non system files, so you will still have all of your stuff) gets rid of files that you dont need, and will speed up your computer....

its kinda the way I think its meant to be done

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
i think normal people upgrade, but people here are often a bit more technically minded perhaps, and prefer to archive because they can understand what will go wrong.

IMO theres nothing wrong with upgrade, and I'm going to be upgrading, just like i did from 10.3

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
i'll be doing a fresh install with a new hard drive because i want a bigger hard drive and a fresh OS. Upgrade works fine but it keeps some of the old system files that you dont need sorta clogging up your computer.

djnardu

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
With A/A can I just drag my old Apps and files into Leopard then delete the rest?

Will the Apps work?

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX
So if you choose "Archive and Install" NONE of my music, photos, videos, etc will be deleted right? I need to make sure and choose the right option. I'm on a MacBook that I've only had for about 3 or 4 months meaning it's still relatively clutter free. I don't have any external drives so I need to ensure that none of my personal documents and applications are deleted. Should I just do "upgrade" or "archive and install"?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
With A/A can I just drag my old Apps and files into Leopard then delete the rest?

Will the Apps work?

I'm guessing A/A is an archive and install? ...Or no?

If it is, then Leopard will go ahead and automatically move your files back into their respective locations. It will leave a a "Previous System" folder that you can delete to preserve space.

I'd delete the apps you don't want before installing Leopard. Also, run an application like AppFresh to get all the latest updates for your applications. The developers may have released an update to make it compatible with Leopard.

For more info for preparing for Leopard, check out this site.

So if you choose "Archive and Install" NONE of my music, photos, videos, etc will be deleted right? I need to make sure and choose the right option. I'm on a MacBook that I've only had for about 3 or 4 months meaning it's still relatively clutter free. I don't have any external drives so I need to ensure that none of my personal documents and applications are deleted. Should I just do "upgrade" or "archive and install"?

None of your files will be lost. Do you have much hard drive space left? That usually determines if you can do an archive & install. Either way, I'd go for the archive and install over the upgrade.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
What would be the reason for choosing upgrade over archive and install if in both cases it will preserve your settings and apps? Is it just the extra space?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I shudder at the thought of people installing a new OS without backing up their data....and it doesn't matter whether you're upgrading or doing a fresh install.......random bad things happen, so take care of your files!

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
so let me get this straight A/I puts the leopard OS on the HDD and it moves tiger into a previous system folder on the desktop along with all my worldly digital possessions? will it move all my docs, pic and media into their respective places or will i do that manually? and it can only do a A/i if you have enough disk space right? how much is enough? 9GB?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
so let me get this straight A/I puts the leopard OS on the HDD and it moves tiger into a previous system folder on the desktop along with all my worldly digital possessions? will it move all my docs, pic and media into their respective places or will i do that manually? and it can only do a A/i if you have enough disk space right? how much is enough? 9GB?

Actually, it moves the Tiger "System" folder. Not the entire computer, just that specific folder. On second thought, I don't believe your files are in that folder. (It still will keep all your files, but that "Previous System" folder doesn't include them) Leopard will automatically move all of your files, pictures, music, apps, etc back into their original locations. Right, you need to have enough disk space. I'm not sure how much, though.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Actually, it moves the Tiger "System" folder. Not the entire computer, just that specific folder. On second thought, I don't believe your files are in that folder. (It still will keep all your files, but that "Previous System" folder doesn't include them) Leopard will automatically move all of your files, pictures, music, apps, etc back into their original locations. Right, you need to have enough disk space. I'm not sure how much, though.

wow, so thats just a upgrade with out writing over the tiger system files, so you just delete tiger when your done right? ive used 20.2GB on my ibook and i have 15.9GB left so i think when its all said and done i will have about the same space left right?

macjack1

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
The Big Apple

Read the support topic under "Files and folders preserved".

-mj

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I do an Archive and Install just because I want to make sure and get rid of any incompatible kernel extensions (plus some other stuff) during the upgrade.

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX
After you've done archive and install and confirmed that everything is where it needs to be, is it safe to delete the "Tiger system folder" or whatever it's called? It won't ruin features in leopard or delete all of your old apps will it?

macjack1

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
The Big Apple
After you've done archive and install and confirmed that everything is where it needs to be, is it safe to delete the "Tiger system folder" or whatever it's called? It won't ruin features in leopard or delete all of your old apps will it?

Yes, it's safe. But I'd hang onto it for a while, or move it to removable media.

-mj

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Keep in mind that because the Archive Install removes your Tiger system folder, some apps may not work anymore (and need reinstalling). Some apps, especially Apple's Pro apps) put all kinds of stuff in your system folder that they need to run (Photoshop too I think) and you will need to reinstall them after your A/I.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.