Why Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Why do people use the word official in thread titles, or even un official? It is really annoying to see it.
Sorry about my moaning

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
carpe diem said:
Why do people use the word official in thread titles, or even un official? It is really annoying to see it.
Sorry about my moaning
I have to say I agree, I always thought it was only mods/gods that created 'offical' threads..... now it seems everyone is doing it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I think people try to do it to make it the only thread of it's kind. Sometimes numerous threads get started on the same topic, so these people try and make theirs "special", or think they can lay the claim to having the main one by doing this, even though it's not always the case. It's fun to humor these people in any case... :p ;)

I can see where if someone does a search for a topic and comes upon multiple threads, they would be more likely to post in the thread labeled "official", rightly or wrongly, so in that respect it is good for keeping posts on a similar topic together.

But yes, I agree, some of the "official" threads I've seen have some pretty obscure titles which I don't think warrant or require the "official" brand. ;)

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
~Shard~ said:
I think people try to do it to make it the only thread of it's kind. Sometimes numerous threads get started on the same topic, so these people try and make theirs "special", or think they can lay the claim to having the main one by doing this, even though it's not always the case. It's fun to humor these people in any case... :p ;)

I can see where if someone does a search for a topic and comes upon multiple threads, they would be more likely to post in the thread labeled "official", rightly or wrongly, so in that respect it is good for keeping posts on a similar topic together.

But yes, I agree, some of the "official" threads I've seen have some pretty obscure titles which I don't think warrant or require the "official" brand. ;)
I would agree. people dont seem to do the work of searching out threads that will give them the info they are looking for. thus causing people to start threads that declare themselves "official" in hopes other threads dont start on the same topic. even the starter of this thread (carpe diem), if they had searched would have found another thread about this same subject http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=156953&highlight=official . I cant tell you how many threads there are just on the subject of "how to rip video for my ipod", maybe 10+. its just a shame that the people who knew how had to post this info 110@#$% times for the people who just didnt spend the time to look for it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
fayans said:
It's for attention-seeking, I guess. Normally, I would pay more attention to those threads.
Probably right, a bunch of attention whoring going on at the moment.

Not like it won't keep a spam thread from being closed.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
freeny said:
I would agree. people dont seem to do the work of searching out threads that will give them the info they are looking for. thus causing people to start threads that declare themselves "official" in hopes other threads dont start on the same topic. even the starter of this thread (carpe diem), if they had searched would have found another thread about this same subject http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=156953&highlight=official .I cant tell you how many threads there are just on the subject of "how to rip video for my ipod" threads there are, maybe 10+. its just a shame that the people who knew how had to post this info 110@#$% times for the people who just didnt spend the time to look for it.
Yes, it's got to the point where I have actually cut+pasted my replies to some commonly asked questions so that if they get asked again (which they always do, on a weekly basis it seems) I can at least save myself some work and modify my previous comments accordiongly for the situation.

I feel sorry for people like CanadaRAM, MacRumors' memory expert, as he is always responding to all the "RAM advice" threads (and there are a LOT of them!) and many times saying the exact same things over and over because people are too lazy to search for previous threads on their topic or question.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Shouldn't this thread be called "The Official 'I Hate Official Threads' Thread"?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
freeny said:
I cant tell you how many threads there are just on the subject of "how to rip video for my ipod", maybe 10+.
As the author of the FIRST thread that had actual working steps (as opposed to the preliminary steps that DIDN'T work), I agree completely. I kinda wish my thread had been stickied, but that's life. ;)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
~Shard~ said:
I feel sorry for people like CanadaRAM, MacRumors' memory expert, as he is always responding to all the "RAM advice" threads (and there are a LOT of them!) and many times saying the exact same things over and over because people are too lazy to search for previous threads on their topic or question.
And by posting the same thing every time, it enforces the nature of starting a new thread, and not searching for threads of the same topic.

cyclical problem

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Koodauw said:
And by posting the same thing every time, it enforces the nature of starting a new thread, and not searching for threads of the same topic.
I don't mind Official threads, as long as the title makes any sense for a person searching.

This title threads are confusing to say the least and don't help people searching.

WTF Just happend?
A strange problem
Need major help...what just happened?
Problems Galore
noobie questions
new imac question
please help!

This is just from Mac Basics and Help. The newbies posting ambiguous title headlines makes it harder for newbies in similar circumstances to find solutions. It's a vicious cycle.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Lacero said:
I don't mind Official threads, as long as the title makes any sense for a person searching.

This title threads are confusing to say the least and don't help people searching.

WTF Just happend?
A strange problem
Need major help...what just happened?
Problems Galore
noobie questions
new imac question
please help!

This is just from Mac Basics and Help. The newbies posting ambiguous title headlines makes it harder for newbies in similar circumstances to find solutions. It's a vicious cycle.
Yes, I totally agree. I love the "Question..." thread titles and its variants as well.

An example of a recent bad one is the Offical "Who Turned Out the Lights?" thread. Not very descriptive, somewhat confusing, and then when you read what it is pertaining to, you think, "Does there really need to be an "official" thread on this topic?" :confused:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
freeny said:
wow! that spammer was deleted quick! nice work clayj
I reported him as well, as I'm sure other members did. Spammers never last more than a few minutes on MacRumors.

Now let us never speak of him again. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.