Why oh why did Apple use magnetic induction charging

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by macguy360, Apr 27, 2015.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Apple could have really done something amazing with the charging by doing a pin style charging like what is on the MacBooks and just making sure it is water-resistant.

Due to the nature of induction charging, a lot of energy is lost. That is why it takes 1.5 hours just to charge the small 205mah battery that is in the Apple Watch. Additionally, induction charging makes it impossible to charge the watch while wearing it, plus the concern about being exposed to the energy waves used by the induction if you were wearing while charging but you can read about that by googling it.

If Apple would have used a pin style system, we could have seen Solar watch straps that charge the Apple Watch while wearing it outside. We could have seen battery watch straps containing upwards of 500mah worth of battery allowing for wearing the watch for several days in a row without needing a charge.

But alas, we have a smart watch that you can't even wear for an entire day so that you can track your exercise during the day and your sleep at night. Then you could be able to download apps that wake you at the optimum time in the morning allowing you to be most refreshed and ready for your day.

This watch is so smart, and yet so not.

2. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Using one of these watches while plugged in seems very impractical, it also cripples many of the watch's functions.

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

It's only 90 minutes out of your day. Take an extended lunch. Watch a movie. Place an extra charger at your desk at work or in your car, and let it sit for a little bit.

And, that's if you want to get it back from 0% to 80% in the 90 minutes. Just do 15-20 minutes and it'll hold you over for a few hours more, or until the next time you really need to charge it up.

4. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you even read my post? It seems you read the topic and then responded. My post was to discuss the ability to extend battery life through accessory watch straps that charge the watch while wearing it sort of like how you can get an iPhone case that increases battery life. A little magnetic dongle that sits on the side of the watch and charges it wouldn't hinder wearing it at all.

----------

Wow people here really are in love with whatever Apple makes regardless.

5. macmurray macrumors regular

Why the hell would you want to wear it while charging it? That seems awkward and impractical...

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I most definitely read your post, but I was primarily replying to the second paragraph.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Maybe it's not so easy to take a pin-style charging system and "just" make it water-resistant. People have been asking Apple to add wireless charging to iPhones for years. Apple finally does it for the Watch, and now you're complaining that they didn't use a pin system.

I've had no issues having the watch last all day. Yesterday I wore it for 15 hours and had 50% battery life left. Within an hour it was back at 100%.

8. PantherHollow macrumors newbie

If you cant wait 90min for magnetic charge, I wonder how you will ever survive waiting for a solar charge that would take damn near an entire day? It's not like a brisk walk in the park is gonna refuel your battery.

9. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

There is a port to access the the device through the band.

However, it is not public, or even exposed for a reason. They designed the device to work in a specific way and while I'm all for jimmying to get new cool things, the trade off of a legitimate port in this case wouldn't be worth it

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Not sure what to make of that statement, considering you're the one who wants to use it while charging and can't seem to part with it for more than a few minutes at a time.

While I do enjoy Apple products, it's actually that I don't mind induction charging. In fact, one of my previous iPhones had one of those slim induction charging cases and it was very convenient. Yes, it's slower, but a lot more convenient when you just place it down on your desk.

How much faster would it have charged from a direct connection?

11. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

12. coolfilmaker macrumors member

13. chrise2 macrumors 6502

My pebble has exactly what you want OP. It has a magsafe type charging port on the side. Its also way more water resistant than the Apple Watch. I wonder if the reason Apple didn't go that route was because of looks. Perhaps also ease of connecting the charger. The Pebble charger can be a little finicky to attach, but its not bad.

14. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Wow, anybody who doesn't agree with you must obviously be a Kool-Aid drinking Apple Fanboy...

15. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

This /thread :rolleyes:

16. luke lau macrumors regular

luke lau

Why the heck would you want to wear the watch while it's charging? If you do need to use it and it's plugged in just put it on a table

17. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

False.

Mankind's most efficient machine is the transformer. That's basically what the inductive charger is.

----------

Also false. Any battery can only accept so much charge in a given amount of time... especially if you want the battery to last.