Why oh why did I even buy an Apple Remote?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by knewsom, Dec 20, 2009.

1. knewsom macrumors 6502a

Seriously, is the only thing it's good for iTunes? Come on, I could just use my phone for that. Why can't I use it for Netflix, VLC, etc?

2. mep42 macrumors member

Have you tried Hulu labs? They have a desktop app that works with the remote its great

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Well…. no offence… but why did you buy it then if you didn't know what it was capable of?

Front Row?
    Plex? Its fantastic for them.

4. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I knew it would be useful for front row... I had just figured that if the keyboard shortcuts like the space bar for play and pause worked just about everywhere, so would the remote. Guess not.

I'll have to check out Plex and Hulu labs. Thanks for the idea.

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I only started using Plex a few days ago but i must say I'm really impressed, its not the most user friendly but its very powerful, and your able to get Hulu, and bbc i player to stream straight through it.

6. PhillStew macrumors member

Whoever posted about using the apple remote with Hulu...this is a great idea, but any time I hit play/pause my MBP fires up iTunes and starts playing. This, obviously isn't what I want it to do, any ideas?

7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

You also need the calendair driver to allow it to work without interfering with iTunes when you use it somewhere else.

It DOES work with VLC.

9. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

WOOOT! that's exactly the 411 I was looking for. Score.

10. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. haiggy macrumors 65816

You sure?

Works fine for me..... is your remote battery dead? lol Maybe it's an outdated VLC version or Calendair driver/version.

You should try the program Movist for viewing movies. It's been just as compatible as VLC for me, has a Mac-like look and works very well with the remote. Try it out!

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Works fine with me as well.

I find it useful for when im showing presentations in meetings. It means i don't have to be connected to my computer with a USB mouse like the Windows users.

13. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Works with me and VLC as well. Im using the white remote if that makes any difference, and Im also running SL.

14. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's really annoying that after installing SL you have to install calendair to get back the old functions of the remote.
    Don't have any problem with play/pause in either VLC or Plex.

15. waw74 macrumors 68030

check out remote buddy it lets you map the remote buttons to keyboard keys to send to any application, it's a paid app though, about $30 after currency conversion.

You can also use a wii-mote with it, connects via bluetooth, and with the right setup, you can even use the wiimote as a mouse by pointing at the screen.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Works with Front Row, Quicktime and Keynote, as well as iTunes, out of the box.
    And as others have mentioned, there are several 3rd party apps to program it to do all sorts of stuff.

17. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

You must be talking about the new aluminium apple remote...
    I noticed aswell that the play/pause button does not work with vlc.... even with candleair installed...

18. joroth macrumors newbie

I have both the white one and the aluminium one.
    The white does play with VLC, but starts iTunes every time you hit play - and the aluminium Play/Pause-button does not work in VLC.
    I hope that'll be fixed in the next VLC or OSX-update..

19. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I use mine because the WiFi network at my house is so low due to how far I am from the router, I can't afford to turn my iMac on WiFi so the remote app is a no-go for me. Not to mention my iPhone can barely get a signal from my room.

For a $20 device, I'm not complaining. I use mine a whole lot.

20. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

i stopped using mine because the battery died within like 5 months.

21. marita macrumors newbie

marita

Remote Buddy was our choice when we would connect our MacBook to the TV for watching movies. Though since we purchased a PS3 over the holidays, we transfer the movies from out MacBook to the PS3, and use it to watch movies. Much more convenient to use the PS3 for home entertainment. Again though Remote Buddy worked great when we were forced to use VLC instead of iTunes.

22. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You can get a new battery for it. They probably sell them at Target or Walmart.

23. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

thats hardly the point though, considering how quickly it died in the first place, it isn't worth it .