Why Oh Why Has Apple not Implemented this?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajayvarma87, Jun 22, 2009.

1. ajayvarma87 macrumors member

With push notification such a big hype now, why can apple not notify users on a new email in their inbox by displaying a "New Email" message on the springboard? I hate having to "slide to unlock" everytime just to see if i have a new email! How hard can it be to just display a message saying "you have a new email!" arrrggghhhh! I thought this was going to be implemented but im really dissapointed! I use email a lot to communicate with other iphone users instead of text messages.

Does anyone agree?

2. milerich macrumors regular

Actually, I wish they would implement what Status Notifier did on my jailbroken 3G. At the top of the screen, where the battery icon is, this program would display a tiny sms bubble, phone receiver, or mail icon to signify that there where either new sms's, voicemails, or emails waiting. That way, all you had to do was wake your phone to the lock screen, look at the top for those icons, and then slide to unlock if you wanted to view them.

It was a very handy jailbreak, and doesn't seem impossible to do, since the bluetooth icon and alarm icon show up next to the battery when you have them activated.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

probably because most of us will continually get that message and there by making it useless.

Just change the lock time of your phone so you don't have to make that extra effort of swiping the bottom of the phone to see if you got emails.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While I agree with the first bit the second bit is a ridiculous solution. Changing the lock time? I don't know about you but I rarely handhold my phone while out and I rarely have use for it in the house if I'm at my desk or something similar. Nor do I care to keep it unlocked (screen on and draining more battery) so changing the lock time is senseless to me because if it is unlocked and in my pocket chances are my ass or my hip is calling someone that probably doesn't want to talk to my ass or my hip. While not really something that happens often on the iPhone with the touch screen, it has happened to me. Therefore, push e-mail notification is not such a bad idea. I'd want this over a flashing LED on the top or side of the phone.

5. milerich macrumors regular

True, but then the battery would drain more quickly with the phone not asleep. That is why Status Notifier was so nice, no reason to wake your phone to check for something new. :)

6. ajayvarma87 thread starter macrumors member

We should at least have an option to turn on email notification as some people will prefer to have it off as they get junk emails etc, but for the people that need it, its not hard just to tell us we have a new email. I agree with the status bar thing, we should get a little message just telling us there is something there!

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Since Mail runs in the background, I wonder if it would be possible for a pop-up bubble to show how many new Mail messages you have. Then you have two options... "View" and "Ignore". Might be cool.

8. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I also was dissapointed that there is no alert on the spring board for new mail. So, I decided to jailbreak 3.0 and added intelliscreen and it honestly it is an awesome app.

I can view my sms and new mail all from my lock screen. And you can hide it too, so that strangers won't know it's there unless you double tap the top bar or slide the top bar.

9. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I think that is what the OP is talking about...:rolleyes:

Ams.