Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
why are there two different ways? Pull down and slide left of home Screen? I don't get it. This seems like a big inconsistency steve jobs wouldn't have allowed ;) it's just bloated imo. Or do I overlook something?

Reactions: LimonJoe

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
One is the proactive screen that also happens to have search, and the other is just search. Part of the reason perhaps is so that people have an easier time accessing search from more places (and so that those who know of one way and not as much about the other way can still use it using the way they already know).

Reactions: Abazigal

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
iOS10 may drop the pulldown and iOS9 is just allowing an interim use since it is none intrusive.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I never search on my phone so having 2 ways is annoying to me whenever I accidentally pull down or now swipe too hard on the 1st Home screen. I turned off Spotlight, why can't this turn off the searching areas?

Reactions: LimonJoe

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I never search on my phone so having 2 ways is annoying to me whenever I accidentally pull down or now swipe too hard on the 1st Home screen. I turned off Spotlight, why can't this turn off the searching areas?
No option to disable those, as there aren't a lot of other customization options unfortunately.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012

Ditto I literally never use these features. Dumb that it's now accessible in 2 ways that are both easy to accidentally trigger no less. Should be able to disable these.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think I read somewhere that many people still aren't aware of the "drag down to search" function, and still default to swiping left from the default home screen because that's what they are accustomed to from pre-ios7 days (or at least they try to). That's why Apple brought it back and added more stuff to it.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Simple. They add the proactive screen and throw search in there also as a convenience. You can also search the old pull down way. Not sure why people are upset about this. Just like there is more than one way to search in OSX - can click on magnifying glass in top right or press cmd-space to bring up search.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I think I read somewhere that many people still aren't aware of the "drag down to search" function, and still default to swiping left from the default home screen because that's what they are accustomed to from pre-ios7 days (or at least they try to). That's why Apple brought it back and added more stuff to it.

Most people aren't aware how to fully use 3D Touch, and it's much more complicated than pulling down the home screen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.